Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Hemi Engine Noise problem ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Rumy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Engine Noise problem ??

Is anyone familiar with a "ticking" problem and have they resolved it yet? I came across this in another forum accidently. Aparently the Hemi makes a ticking sound and its pretty damn loud. A few of the members on another forum said Dodge is aware of it but they havn't identified it yet. Any ideas?

Old 08-18-2004, 01:00 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hemi Engine Noise problem ??

I haven't heard one not make it yet. I think I'd be more concerned if it didn't make it.

Old 08-18-2004, 09:47 AM
hemiwolf
Rookie

This was mentioned by me in another post. I have a 2003 HEMI that seems to get louder as it breaks in. I call it "valve train chatter" instead of ticking, but its the same I am sure.
When I first saw a cut away view of the HEMI and the way they handled the whole valve lift thing.. I was skeptical. It seems to work well enough but sure does make some noise. If I wanted a truck that sounded like a deisel I would have bought a deisel. Know what I mean?

Old 08-18-2004, 11:25 AM
moparturd
Banned

No arguement here. Mine has 8500 miles on it and it doesn't seem to get any worse. So at this point I'm not too concerned.

Old 07-01-2005, 03:20 AM
nytstker

I just got my truck back today from the dealership and you are right. They said the ticking sound is normal.being that its a Hemi.
I feel better and i have peace of mind knowing that its documented for future referrences.
Nytstker

[IMG]local://upfiles/17499/3A327FA76EED4F4C99959C3DDC88379A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Red Ram Hemi 2005
Professional

11800 miles here and the noise hasent changed so I'm not to worried.

Old 07-02-2005, 07:34 PM
bubbleburster

If they know about the problem then maybe they could do somekind of a warranty extension for that part/parts like they supposedly did for the titan brakes trouble is that i guess that you part/parts gotta be broken or qualify to get fixed,not like a total recall.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:26 AM
Ramrodder

2004 with 12000 miles. Don't remember any noise when first got it but keeps getting noisier, it seems. Sounds more like "bearings rolling around erratically" (or something like that) rather than a "ticking", to me with mine. It's worse when motor is cold and has got worse since I put synthetic oil (Mopar) in the crankcase. I hear a "ticking" also but that is more consistent-type noise and is exhaust related. Took it to dealer and they said to "keep an eye on it and let him know if/when it gets any worse". Not very re-assuring.
A buddy of mine had a 2003 Hemi with same type of noise, only louder he says, and they ordered him a new bottom-end, said the motor had a couple bad pistons or rings, can't remember. He traded the truck before they finished the swap and bought the diesel.
I'm with hemiwolf, If I wanted a truck that sounded like a deisel I would have bought a deisel.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Reg cab 4x4 Laramie / 5.7 Hemi

Old 07-15-2005, 03:56 AM
kmil579

I have a 2003 (QC hemi)with 111,000 miles on it. Thats right one hundred and eleven thousand miles on it. The noise has been with me through it all and the only things that I have had to do to it were the shifter cable broke within 5,000 miles, oil changes, and a tune up. I had to replace some BS computer diagnostic module but thats about it. Engine has been great throughout. I have even towed 10,000 lbs+ with it (shingles). I have been noticing a noise when I go over bumps or potholes and dealer says Rack and Pinion leak. Never see a leak but definitely feel something. Will have second opinion on it and replace. Other than that it has been great and I wouldnt worry about the noise. It is there and will probably be there when I hit 200,000.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 AM
nhbdaddy

Anyone ever discover anything to quiet the injectors?
The ticking drives me mad

Quick Reply: Hemi Engine Noise problem ??