Dodge Sprinter The Dodge Sprinter is all function, with styling cues from the Dodge Truck line, it makes the workaholic's job much easier. Check out the Dodge Sprinter in showrooms today!

Question about Sprinter Transmission Swap with 5AW580 Chrysler

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 12:18 PM
rlg999
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Sprinter Transmission Swap with 5AW580 Chrysler

Hi guys,
First post on this site. I've got a 2005 Dodge Sprinter 3500 van with the 2.7 diesel and the 722.681 Mercedes transmission with 295k miles on both. My transmission is about to give up the ghost, I've changed the fluid and filter twice in the past month and each time I get a bunch of metal dust in the pan and on the speed sensors on top of the valve body. No huge particles like bearings, races, etc, just fine magnetic powder. Currently I'm stuck with error codes P0715 and P2225, which have me in permanent limp mode, only 2nd and reverse work. But, when I try driving it around the block like this, it seems to work fine, no noises, no slipping, etc... I do have a wet transmission connector plug on the side of the transmission, but the module under the seat is good. Should I invest in a new conductor plate and new plug, clear the codes, and see what happens? If that isn't the fix, then I am thinking about doing a transmission swap from a WA580 transmission from the v8 charger or challenger. From what I can tell, the gear ratios are the same, the valve bodies are the same, the conductor plate and transmission connector are the same, only the bellhousing is different. Can someone who is much more proficient with the inner workings of these transmissions confirm that they are indeed the same, except for the bellhousing? If that is the case, how difficult is it to swap bellhousings? I have read somewhere that when you remove the housing off the tranny, it also removes the pump and some other parts, basically opening up the entire transmission for all the parts to fall out in the floor. Is this true? Would the torque convertor, pump, and other parts off of the WA580 bellhousing swap right over to my Sprinter bellhousing? I would hate to use my old pump and TC if they are full of metal and junk. Bottom line is that I can find WA580's all day long with low miles for $500 or so, while a rebuilt 722.681 Sprinter transmission is 2200-2500 bucks, and one with 150k is still over a grand. Has anyone attempted such a conversion? Thanks for any help!

Old 06-18-2019, 09:00 AM
SandDragon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello rlg999, I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you ever completed this as I'm sitting in the same position now. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Question about Sprinter Transmission Swap with 5AW580 Chrysler