Dodge Sprinter The Dodge Sprinter is all function, with styling cues from the Dodge Truck line, it makes the workaholic's job much easier. Check out the Dodge Sprinter in showrooms today!

Overriding or reprogramming Speed Limiter???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 10:07 AM
kl_carroll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overriding or reprogramming Speed Limiter???

Has anyone had any experience with altering the Speed Limiter setting?

We just acquired two 2500 Series 158 WB sprinters, and they both are restricted to an identical top speed of 83 (indicated) MPH. In our application, even another 5 or 10 MPH would be welcome.

The dealer says it's all in the hands of the computer, and that they can't legally change it for us.

I know that the road tests done back in 2003 all seem to indicate a top end of 90; ......so this can't be an "impossible dream".

KLC

Old 05-11-2006, 03:37 PM
gizmo uk
Professional
Default RE: Overriding or reprogramming Speed Limiter???

Cant understand that top whack,over here in the uk the merc sprinter comes with different power options,even the 311(110 bhp) is good for 110,the 130 is good for 125 indicated and the 316(158 bhp)is good for 130+!!!.I know some of the leasing companys put restrictors on for 75mph,you may have different gearing also.Maybe a european engine management unit would help.
my 2002 316cdi now has 600000 miles on it,the only thing i dislike about it is that it hates sidewinds.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:54 PM
kl_carroll

Gizmo UK;

Thanks for the glimmer of hope! .........Perhaps you can help with another issue?

Both of our Sprinters have less than 5000 miles on them, and they have both had multiple failures relating to the Turbocharger sub-system. (Two cracked "turbo-resonators" and two leaking intercoolers.) Do the European models have a history of problems in this area?

This failure is REALLY irritating, because the computer detects the pressure loss, and drops into it's "Limp Home Mode"; ......which limits you to about 2200 rpm, a maximun of 1/4 throttle, and limited downshift capability. All of this results in a top speed of MAYBE 48 mph, if there are no hills.

I just had to drive one of these guys from West Texas to Chicago in "Limp Home Mode", because none of the dealers we tried on the road could help us: .........I still have a nervous twitch as a result! (LOL)

KLC

Old 05-11-2006, 07:41 PM
gizmo uk
Professional

No,not heard of that one,the only recall i had was problem with wiring which a simple re-route sorted,apart from consumables and a gearshift problem (worn linkage) it has been 100% reliable,i take it your trucks are automatics.I'm in for a service over the weekend,will ask the guys at merserve if they know of any problems.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:48 PM
greasebag

I'd love info on this too....I make a few 200+ mile trips a week accross some empty boring roads and a few mph would make things SOOOOO much nicer.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:10 PM
gizmo uk
Professional

definately a difference in gearing with your slushbox,2200rpm in 5th equates to just over 70mph on mine.Are your trucks manufactured/assembled in the US or germany.i know the gearing on the 416 (twin wheeled)is lower.you never see a sprinter over here doing less than 90 on the motorway."white van man" is something of an anti hero over here and the eurocrats are on about fitting restrictors to vans the same as they do to buses and lorrys,that will suck!

Old 05-12-2006, 09:14 PM
kl_carroll

Yeah, ………..The 80 mph governed speed was a “feature†that Dodge carefully failed to mention prior to the sale.

I tried asking all the obvious questions of the dealership, and all I got were the stock “Don’t have that information, …..Can’t be done, ……Would void the warranty†answers.

I refuse to believe that: ……..They sell too many of these to government agencies and Emergency Services.

Are there any Computer/re-programming gurus reading this??? (Many of us will pay serious money to “re-educate†the Sprinter’s computer!!)

Old 05-13-2006, 06:25 AM
gizmo uk
Professional

The daft thing is the restrictors on ours (i only have expierenced once on a hired 311,110bhp)only work on 5th gear,3000rpm 75mph.leave it in 4th and you get 85.Sounds to me that the restriction on yours is a "euro" thing 83 is 130kph.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:06 AM
kl_carroll

That 4th gear thing is REAL interesting!!! .............I never tried that!

Tomorrow (well, actually later today) I am going to have to sign out one of our Sprinters, and take it for a little 4th gear test drive!

It would be sooooo cool if one can get around the limiter that easily!!

KLC

Old 05-13-2006, 08:04 AM
gizmo uk
Professional

totalengine.co.uk do chipping kits for the sprinter with warranty,30bhp extra for the 158.The new sprinter has a V6 tdi with 184 bhp sounds like its the VW unit,will be sad to see the 5 pot go,am a big fan of that engine,have a 20 yr old Quattro with the petrol 2.2 turbo 20v 5 pot in it,still beat the crap out of it on a regular basis and it refuses to die!
more info on the new model (due here on the 18th) on mercedes-benz.co.uk.

Quick Reply: Overriding or reprogramming Speed Limiter???