Dodge Sprinter The Dodge Sprinter is all function, with styling cues from the Dodge Truck line, it makes the workaholic's job much easier. Check out the Dodge Sprinter in showrooms today!

2005 Sprinter 2500 Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:54 AM
acadia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Sprinter 2500 Stalling

We have a 2005 Sprinter 2500 and have had stalling problems every summer for a few years now. The van stalls when you are slowing down for a corner or a stop. The idle does not settle down and the van just quits running, no stuttering, just shuts off. After it stalls, it usually starts right back up and runs well.
At times we experience a loss of power when you apply the gas, and at other times the transmission seems to run really rough and chuggs hard before shifting.
In the past three years we have replaced fuel filters, fuel pump, fuel rail, the computer, and a wiring harness. Still no fix for the problem.
Side note, we use the van very little in the winter and have not had the problem in the cold months. Also, we drive it on an island and it is often quite near the shore and the ocean breezes.
Any ideas.
When the check engine light is on the code says lack of fuel pressure?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:08 AM
acadia
Default Tubo Waste Gate?

I've had people suggest that the turbo waste gate is sticking? Any thoughts on that?

Old 02-03-2010, 04:43 PM
jofx

I have one that stalls a lot during the day on our Fed Ex route. I have had my mechanic look at it a number of times and he says it doesn't pull up any codes when he checks it. He has replaced the fuel filter and has cleaned parts in the turbo hose as well as checked an oil level solenoid and sensor. Anybody have any other answers?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Maybe mass air flow sensor or plugged air filter.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 PM
ChryslerTechBC
Professional

Intermittent stalling and or low power with or without CEL;Poor pin fit at fuel pump relay socket or defective relay for low pressure fuel pump.The loose pin fit is usually located on the RD/BK wire. The tab is usually bent where it is not locking correctly in the relay base housing causing the pin to back out of the housing resulting in intermittent operation of the low pressure fuel pump. This intermittent operation of the fuel pump causes stalling and potential operation of the CEL due to rapid changes in fuel pressure.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:58 PM
acadia
Default Still stalling, but I've an idea.

In March we had the Mass Air FLow Sensor replaced as well as the fuel pump & filter. While they were working on the fuel pump they checked all connections. This resulted in no stalling until now (May).
My idea is this. During the tourist season we drive from sea level to the top of Cadillac Mtn (1530 ft) daily. The stalling never seems to happen during the off season, when we are not driving up and down the mountain. In an effort to save the brakes, we always drive down the mountain (roughly 3 miles or 15 minutes) in 3rd gear. Could this be related to the stalling? The stalling usually occurs when the van is slowing to a stop and shifting down and idling down. Instead of working it's way down from highway speed, it just cuts out and dies near what might be a transistion from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd?

Old 05-21-2010, 01:35 PM
jofx
Default 05 Sprinter Still Stalls (Only In cold months)

We tried all the fixes. Fuel filter, Looked at the fuel pump connections, also changed transmission fluid. The tech put it on the engine analyzer and told me the fuel pressure was not being maintained. The sprinter stalls in cold weather but when temperatures averaged above 50 degrees the stalling has stopped but resumed when the weather got cold again. Now that summer is here it is not stalling. If it still occurs when winter comes back I will look for another fuel pump and see if that doesn't cure the problem. But at the cost of one of those, it's a real tough choice to make. I'm open to any comments but perhaps some of you could find some commonality in this problem.

Quick Reply: 2005 Sprinter 2500 Stalling