Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Replaced Axle, but Won't Move

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Outlander52
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Axle, but Won't Move

Hello everybody!

I own a 92 Dodge Stealth ES (Standard Transmission) and recently had to replace the front passenger side axle. After replacing the axle I attempted to take the car for a spin but I can't get the vehicle to budge. It feels as if one of the tires on the right is locked into place.

I assume there is something wrong with the installation or something that I missed, but I can't think of what it is. Please help.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:29 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Sounds like you need to take it back apart. Sorry but you have the vehicle. Jack the front up and inspect everything.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Outlander52

After playing around with it a bit I was able to get it to roll some. There is some squeaking coming from the front right tire. I assume it is the brakes (everything else seems to be working well). I did have to disconnect the caliper from the brake line. I was able to reconnect it and bleed it. Could I have accidentally locked the brakes?

Old 11-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Outlander52

I just got back in from checking that and found the calipers to be in working order, although the brakes will need to be replaced soon.

I decided to brake the nut on the threaded part of the axle that is coming through the rotor. Once I did, the axle and rotor spun freely. The nut was on too tight. Personally, I didn't think the axle was all of the way through completely because the hole at the end of the axle (for the pin) doesn't clear the end of the nut (I was trying to move the car back some so I could freely look for the pin). Would a torque wrench fix this?

Also, if somebody could explain, I assumed that a tight nut would be fine in this situation because the axle is connected to the rotor/rim/wheel and wouldn't interfere with the rotation.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:19 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The nut being tight shouldn't seize the rotor unless you have some serious play and wear in your wheel bearing.

.....or they gave you the wrong axle shaft.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:24 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure if the stealths had the same issue, but the 543 trans were notorious for breaking the shear pin on the diff, allowing the diff pin to come out.

Quick Reply: Replaced Axle, but Won't Move