Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Fuel Injector Coil Reading

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:12 PM
JackO91
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Injector Coil Reading

I have a 91 Twin Turbo R/T (15,000 mi) that started running rough five years ago after I took it out of storage. Blowing white smoke out the exhaust and jerking in the lower gears. I took the injectors out and sent the to Cruzin Performance to have them cleaned and checked, came back ok. Same problem so I put it up on stands and let it sit until this year when I decided to get it running. I've checked the head gasket with a block tester, it didn't indicate any leakage. Anti-Freeze levels stays the same. Put 60 psi to each cylinder, they held fine. Changed plugs, took the injectors back out and ran cleaner thru them still no improvement. Still blows white smoke on start up but seems to stop after it heats up. Keep getting 4 longs and a short on the volt meter test which indicates fuel injector coil malfunction, but when I check the ohm's on each injector they are within spec. So are the resistors. So at this point I am at a loss. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Old 08-15-2016, 09:34 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the block tester; are you referring to a combustion tester solution? If yes, how old was the solution?

4 longs and a short means what? Other than ohms test, the only method I know to test the injector is with a labscope.

blueish white smoke on start up can be from bad valve stem seals. Any ash deposits on the center electrode of the spark plugs?

Old 08-15-2016, 09:57 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the turbo seals.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:03 PM
JackO91

It's the one you put the blue liquid into to see if it turns yellow. The liquid was new out of the box. Don't know how long it sat on the shelf, will have to look on the box to see if there is a date. How old is to old? The Check Engine light that comes on after driving it for about 5 minutes, so I hooked a volt meter to the +/- side of the Diagnostic Connector which give me the 4 long sweeps and one short sweep of the needle. According to the diagnostic chart this indicates either the problem is the injector coil resistance or harness and connector. I've checked both, the coil resistance is in speck and the harness continuity checks out ok also.
The smoke is a pure white, no blue tint at all, and very thin. If you hold you hand up to it there is no oil feel at all. I changed the plugs but there was no ash residue on the old plugs at all. I'm inclined to believe it's a bad injector or two. Idles fine but when you get on it is when the missing and jerking starts. I plan on driving it for awhile and see if it cleans up, if not I'll start over again. Thank you for your response.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:08 PM
JackO91

I don't think it the turbo seals. When I get out of the lower gears I'm able to punch it and peg the boost needle with no smoke. Like I told the other gentleman even though the injectors spec out according to the manual I think I have one or two that are not working correctly which is allowing unburnt gas into the exhaust system.

Thanks for the response.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:54 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JackO91
I don't think it the turbo seals. When I get out of the lower gears I'm able to punch it and peg the boost needle with no smoke. Like I told the other gentleman even though the injectors spec out according to the manual I think I have one or two that are not working correctly which is allowing unburnt gas into the exhaust system.

Thanks for the response.

The 3.0L single cam had issues with the valves guides falling. I can't remember if the dual cam heads did the same thing. Back when they were popular, the Dodge dealers were a separate facility and I hardly saw them.

They were both Mitsu engines so ....maybe

Old 08-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I think I have one or two that are not working correctly which is allowing unburnt gas into the exhaust system.
Check the fuel pressure and see how long it holds it after the pump is off. If you have leaking injector the pressure will drop fairly fast.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:39 PM
JackO91

Good idea, thanks Moparite.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:40 PM
JackO91

Thanks TNtech.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Coil Reading