Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

RPM Problem

Old 08-28-2007, 11:42 AM
australianSAINT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM Problem

Hey everyone!

I am currently having this problem with my car. I have a 02' Stratus 2.7L SE and if I like floor it from a stop my RPM's keep climbing and it dosen't switch gears. Sometimes it can get up to 6-7 before I let off the gas so it can switch gears. Is there any part or anyway to make it switch gears earlier so I dont redline and blow my engine. I am really getting worried that I'm doing some damage to my car.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Mini Mike
Default RE: RPM Problem

ok, your 02 stratus with the 2.7L V6 has a built in rev limiter. it should kick in around 6250rpm. this is normal if you are at WOT. the car will wait to shift until it reaches the rev limiter. The rev limiter is designed to prevent damage to your engine. But I would not recommend acceleration like that all the time or you may prematurely damage/wearout your engine.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:43 AM
tomthedog
Captain

had a '79 chevy with the same issue, turned out to be a kinked fuel line going to the carb, no $h1t. i'm guessing you have the auto on yours, as i do. check out the linkage from the gas pedal to the t-body and the kick-down cable, trans filter might need to be replaced, trans fluid might be low, or the tranny or its computer/sensors could be bad. let us know whats up.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:43 PM
australianSAINT

thanks for the input.
i asked a couple of my buddies at the garage and also on a few other forums and they all said that there is nothing wrong. they all told me about the rev limiter like Mini Mike did and how it will kick down around 6250. Once i saw it go up to like 5 i left off. i dont have the ***** to mkae up hit the limit because im afraid ahah although im almost certain it will kick down and it will be fine.

also Mini Mike, i don't accelerate like that all the time. its just on occasion because i know i can do some damage to my engine and i dont want that.

thanks again for the input

Old 09-01-2007, 11:09 PM
australianSAINT

I tried it today racing my buddy in his Mustang. It was fine. RPMs hit 6250 and it kicked down right away.

Thanks

Old 09-07-2007, 11:13 PM
RooK
Rookie

Your afraid to do it, until you race someone? Man, your amusing. You'd crap yourself with my Grand Prix. I've got a cam, springs, and custom pcm. It shifts about 1000rpms after the stock shift point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RPM Problem