Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

04' SOHC 2.4L engine, Stratus SXT coupe....Where's the power hiding?

Old 06-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Dodgefan4life
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04' SOHC 2.4L engine, Stratus SXT coupe....Where's the power hiding?

I'm new to the forum and just trying to find out some good general info from anybody else who has the same engine. I have an 04 SXT with the SOHC 2.4L engine. I know, I know, I should have bought an R/T but, I didn't. I was pressed for time to find a vehicle right away. Knowing that I wanted a Stratus but not having the ability to get the one I wanted, I picked what was available and what was cheap. So now I'm curious as to how to coax a little more power from this paltry engine. I hear that it's the same basic platform as the newer eclipses but, I was also under the impression that the newer eclipses had the DOHC engine, not the SOHC. I know how to find CAI's and exhaust all day but, what of other mods to get this thing up and moving? Short of an engine swap (which is looking like a better idea all the time....), what can I do to this thing to give it some *****?

Old 06-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Z28Stratus
Rookie
Default RE: 04' SOHC 2.4L engine, Stratus SXT coupe....Where's the power hiding?

Aren't all 2.4L's DOHC? Well regardless can't go wrong with ported heads and a cam. Or get an SRT4 turbo on Ebay. They're pretty cheap.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Dodgefan4life
Default RE: 04' SOHC 2.4L engine, Stratus SXT coupe....Where's the power hiding?

ORIGINAL: Z28Stratus

Aren't all 2.4L's DOHC?

I think you're on to something.... I feel like a jackass now but, I went to allpar.com and a few other sites after reading your comment and, I can't seem to find anything about a SOHC 2.4L engine. What I do know is that the only markings on the valve cover are the words "16 valve" and looking back, that pretty much assures it's status as a DOHC correct? I had it serviced a little bit ago and I asked the mechanic if he knew if it was a single cam or dual and he said single so, I was just going on what he said. I suppose at this point, I'll dislodge my foot from my mouth. I'm going to run the VIN with CARFAX and maybe a couple other VIN checkers to see what I can come up with. I bought the thing used and in a hurry, not a good combination. Either way, the thing still strikes me as a gutless wonder but, at least now I know that I may have a decent base to work with. Also, it might not be the quickest thing but, damn if it doesn't look sharp!

Old 06-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Dodgefan4life

Also, looking a the stats of the car, I think I found where the power is hiding..... it's hidden somewhere under the cars enormous curb weight! Just over three thousand pounds SHEESH!

Old 06-21-2006, 01:00 AM
Dodgefan4life

I lied... it's definitely SOHC. Is it painfully obvious that I'm not very knowledgable on engines yet? Just wondering....

Old 06-26-2006, 01:42 AM
supermanssxt

if its definitely the SOHC, then its a 2.0 not 2.4, but then if thats the case it would sound like someone has done a engine swap because i believe the 2.0 wasnt a option in the 04, could be wrong but im pretty sure they only made them in the 2.4 DOHC motor, or v6

Old 06-26-2006, 05:01 AM
Dodgefan4life

I've been doing a lot of research on this lately and, it seems that the SOHC 2.4 is actually the one used in previous models of Eclipses. It's known as the 4g64 engine and there's a handful of places you can go online that offer products that are interchangeable for the SOHC engine. It's still a wallowing pig but, with relatively low boost levels and stock internals, you can push into the 250 WHP mark.... I'd suggest anybody interested go to Tearstone or ripp mods online. They have forced induction products for both the 4g64 and the 6g72 engines. There's also a lot of other places online that offer some helpful hints and tips on how to build the engine but, they're more geared towards those with Eclipses.... I guess that's the price you pay for not wanting to run with the crowd though.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:25 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

The Stratus coupe is all Mitsu....it doesnt share the same components as the Stratus sedan. The motor you have is a Mitsu 2.4L, not a Chrysler motor.

The SE coupe comes with a 2.4-liter single overhead-cam four-cylinder engine that generates 147 hp at 5500 rpm and 158 lb.-ft. of torque at 4500 rpm.

If you want power suggestions, your best bet is to try an Eclipse forum...as they've done some amazing things powerwise with the motor.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:27 PM
Justin Anthony
Default Dont listen to him. He doesn't know what he is talking about you may be right.

Originally Posted by Dodgefan4life
I think you're on to something.... I feel like a jackass now but, I went to allpar.com and a few other sites after reading your comment and, I can't seem to find anything about a SOHC 2.4L engine. What I do know is that the only markings on the valve cover are the words "16 valve" and looking back, that pretty much assures it's status as a DOHC correct? I had it serviced a little bit ago and I asked the mechanic if he knew if it was a single cam or dual and he said single so, I was just going on what he said. I suppose at this point, I'll dislodge my foot from my mouth. I'm going to run the VIN with CARFAX and maybe a couple other VIN checkers to see what I can come up with. I bought the thing used and in a hurry, not a good combination. Either way, the thing still strikes me as a gutless wonder but, at least now I know that I may have a decent base to work with. Also, it might not be the quickest thing but, damn if it doesn't look sharp!
Dont listen to that guy he has no idea what he is talking about. You may be right. First of all. 2.4l the L stands for Liter wich im sure you know. But what it aplys to is the amount of volume aka space it takes up liter or cubic inch same principle. It has nothing to do with how many camshafts are in the engin. . DOHC, or Dual/Double Over Head Cam, means you have two individual camshafts, one for intake valves and the other for exhaust valves. Were as SOHC has 1 camshaft and only 2 valves per cylinder, one for intake and one for exhaust. Both have their pros and cons. DOHC runs cooler and is easier to add hp gains. But SOHC tend to be more bullet proof, better fuel mileage and will out live a DOHC more often then not. I have a 2004 stratus rt and a 2004 stratus sxt the sxt is a 2.4l sohc. Dodge only put SOHC engines in 20% of their statuses in 04.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:06 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

This thread is 13 years old.. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04' SOHC 2.4L engine, Stratus SXT coupe....Where's the power hiding?