Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

changing transmission solenoid ....

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:50 AM
ratsttam
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tisha,

This is assuming you have a first generation stratus 95-00, with the 2.5 v6 and the Autostick transmission. I can't guarantee how well or what needs to be disconnected on the non-autostick, or even with the 2.4 or 2.0 i4 engines.

There is a box that sits directly on top of the transmission, and can be accessed from the top just to the left of the fuse box. You'll need to remove the airbox and intake, as well as a metal bracket that will be in the way. I believe it was mostly 10mm sockets, but you'll need a few extensions, as they bolts are pretty far down. There is a screw in the middle of the wire harness(s) attached to the solenoid pack. It should lift right out once all the bolts and screws are removed. The gasket is a major point of failure, but with the general non-availability of this gasket now, the solenoid is blamed, as it needs to be replaced to get the new gasket, looks like either way, you'll be replacing it.
I didn't think to take pictures of this repair as I really didn't plan on the car lasting more than a year anyways, going on 2 years now @ 30,000/yr lol.

Last edited by ratsttam; 05-02-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:18 AM
tisha

thank you!!! and yes..that is exactly what i have in my car so it should work out good. I heard that i have to do some kind of quick fix thing with a scan tool? did you?

Old 05-02-2009, 11:50 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by tisha
thank you!!! and yes..that is exactly what i have in my car so it should work out good. I heard that i have to do some kind of quick fix thing with a scan tool? did you?
If you're talking about clearing the codes... than yes. I just had the battery disconnected for the couple days waiting for the gasket to arrive... If you have a scan tool, or a parts store that will read the codes for free, than you're good. otherwise it'll clear out on its own after a few. I would take the battery out while working on it, as that will clear it (and be safer anyways).

since you're floating around more, please take some time to fill out your profile and put your car details in there, so we can help you quicker with any issues you happen onto in the future.

Quick Reply: changing transmission solenoid ....