Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

changing transmission solenoid ....

Old 02-04-2008, 05:40 PM
gregnripple
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing transmission solenoid ....

I found out today that my transmission solenoid on my 00 stratus is leaking.. I was just wondering how much trouble it is to change... Is it possiable to change it without dropping the transmission? It looks like it wouldn`t be that much trouble if you take the air intake and all off...Any suggestions??

Old 02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Richards_Keith
Default RE: changing transmission solenoid ....

In 2006 Ihad the same issue in my 2002 SE 2.4 Took it to Cottman Transmission and they did a pretty good job in about 2 hours. Total cost (new part + labor + tax): $240, which I found quite reasonable.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:25 PM
tireman

Keith,
What problems were you seeing, that pointed you toward changing the trans. solenoid? My 95 Stratus has an intermittent problem of not shifting into 3rd gear. Is this what you experienced? Trans shop wants to charges$450 to take it apart and tell me what's wrong. I do not need a perfect trans. Car will be driven about 70 mi/week.
Thanx

Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Richards_Keith

Hey tireman,
At that time my transmisson was leakingslowand every morningI was able tosee asmall puddle of pink fluid on the ground. Shifting was fine (and still is). Sounds like you have an electrical problem in your transmission (speed sensor?, wire connectors?).

Old 02-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Smokey2709

Hey Tireman, I have a 2002 Neon and just had to have the Transmission Solenoid changed. It cost me 350.00 at the dealer. The car was staying in second gear in an automatic. Also intermitently shifting back into neutral. Thats the problem I was having.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:24 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Just changed the gasket on the trans solinoid on my '00 ES (v6). It was rather easy to get to. If this is where it's leaking from, the solinoid most likely is OK (only a 1 in 50 chance the solinoid itself is bad - so says my local dodge mechanic), and the gasket was about $20 and took me 1-2hrs worth of work, for a novice.

Mostly 10mm sockets, and a few socket extensions helped a lot. You will need to remove the transmission control module (to the left of the fuse terminal) and the metal bracket that holds it. you'll see the trans solinoid directly below that.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:20 PM
hank del
Default tcc solenoid

where exactly is the tcc solenoid located on 99 neon. a diagram would be helpful

Old 05-01-2009, 02:29 PM
tisha

so i've been to three different mechanics and they said that they would have to replace the whole solenoid and that you can't just replace a gasket. obviously you didn't do all that. did it work out? and where did u get the gasket?

Old 05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by tisha
so i've been to three different mechanics and they said that they would have to replace the whole solenoid and that you can't just replace a gasket. obviously you didn't do all that. did it work out? and where did u get the gasket?
it took a while for a friend of mine, a service manager at a dealership group that covers dodge, to find it. The parts manager said it wasn't available as a separate component any longer, but found a dealer in the Midwest that had one sitting on a shelf. Very rarely does the solenoid go bad, but the gasket seems pretty common. It's an extremely easy fix too, as per my prior post (if i didn't detail it, I can go back). Good luck in a search for this dealer only part. Start calling every dodge dealer within 1,000mi of you.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:39 PM
tisha

I saw where it was leaking from and it definately looked like the pack itself. I talked to a number of mechanics and they all said that about 95 percent of the time it is the pack and not a gasket.

Is there any way that you could give me a detail instruction on you fixed yours. I've read some forums and people have said that you need to remove the transmission cooler lines and bla bla. It doesn't look like i'd have to. I'm a bit nervous. I love to work on my car myself but I always run into small things that I dont know how to do that take me forever to figure out. I dont want to run into this but i don't have the money to pay to have it done. Plus, i like doing things myself.

I'd appreciate it a whole lot.

Thanks,
Tisha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: changing transmission solenoid ....