Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:30 PM
maritimesbob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering fluid

I`m going to be changing the s-belt on my 96 Stratus (2.4). I figured while I`m at it, I might flush the power steering system and replace it with new fluid. The car was purchased high mileage and I`m doubting it has been changed in a long time!

I`ve had some problems with my A/C, so I decided to get a smaller belt and do away with the A/C. My question is, can someone offer some tips on an easy and safe way to flush the system, ensuring the old crap is out and the new fluid is air free?

Someone told me I should use ATF transmission fluid rather than "power steering fluid", is this true?

Old 09-21-2008, 01:29 AM
codydakota
Captain

I always use ATF in my power steering, never had a problem, my '95 dakota has had it in there for 5 years, my Acclaim had it, my Sundance had it. It doesn't hurt anything

Old 09-21-2008, 09:39 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

your car uses power steering fulid not atf if you use atf it can affect your seals and poss how well the ps works chrysler in the service manual says
DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:18 PM
maritimesbob

I put the car on a hoist tonight all ready to change the serpentine belt, but wait.......... was that another thinner belt behind the s-belt? Don`t tell me that`s the belt for the power steering? Oh my god, this is possibly the worst car I`ve ever worked on. Nothing is easy to get to, unless you have arms shaped like twigs!

I noticed the "thinner" belt was quite loose and also very glazed looking. If this is indeed the belt for the power steering, it might explain why my steering shudders badly when turning at idling speed. It`s probably slipping a lot.

So is this thinner belt behind the s-belt the one for the power steering?

Thanks.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:30 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

yes it is your ps belt replace it also if it burnt or cracked .If you just adjust it and it's cracked or burnt it will break and poss take out your serp belt with it

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid