Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

'00 (1g) ES V6 Valve Cover Gasket bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 PM
ratsttam
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 (1g) ES V6 Valve Cover Gasket bad?

I've got a 2.5 V6 stratus ES with 160,000mi. I have noticed oil above the spark plugs, around the plug wire boot. it was mentioned that this could be caused by a faulty valve cover gasket. Autozone carries this gasket, and it looks like 2 plates with 3 holes that line up with where the plugs go. There is also a larger gasket with the same name that is more expensive, but it's more of a donut shaped, not a plate with holes in it. I feel that it would be the plate type gasket. Am I correct with this?

Also, Does any mechanics know if this is major trouble in my engine, or will this likely fix the issue. The engine still runs good and idles normally, not rough.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:39 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Default valve cover gasket

Having the valve cover gasket leak into the sparkplug wells is very common for ALL types of OHC engines, no matter who makes them. After leaking a bit, the oil WILL start to mess with spark, either by grounding out the plug or jacking up the plug wires. This will lead to a missfire condtion sooner or later (some set-ups seem to be able to handle the oil better than others).

The replacement of the valve cover gasket is no big deal. For the front side. If you don't have one, get a Haynes (or simmular) manual from the parts store and read the task a few times. With quick glance it LOOKS like you may have to remove the intake to get to the rear valve cover. I have the 2.7 V6 so i'm NOT sure.

If cash is tight (or real cold out side), you can pull the plugs every few weeks. Dry off the wires and plugs, and reinstall. This will get you but for a while.

Nothing is hard about the job, just a bit time consumming. The gasket is more of a choice thing (could search the net for some pics of the part), just use a high-temp RTV during install. hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Glad to know that it's common over time on OHC setups. She might hit 200k afterall

It's the mitsubishi 2.5 v6, so removal of the intake manifold is necessary as it arches over the 3 on the back. Can't even get to the wires to clean the plugs, etc, with it attached.

I'll be doing the tear down this weekend in my buddys heated garage, and autozone had the gasket in stock for $40

His shop labor guide (works at a dealership) recommends charging 3hrs for this job. I've come to expect it takes a bit longer for us. Beer breaks and all.

Quick Reply: '00 (1g) ES V6 Valve Cover Gasket bad?