Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 Stratus tire problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:41 PM
daveyboy43
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Stratus tire problem

Have a 2000 Stratus and several months ago I noticed the tire on the drivers side front was wearing funny as the tread was gone on the outer 1/4th of the tire. Later discovered that the tie rod needed replaced and was told that's what had caused the tire wear. Had the tie rod replaced, the car aligned and a new tire installed and this tire has worn exactly the same, that's to say the outer 1/4th of the tire is bald. Does anyone have any suggestions as I want to fix the problem before I put yet another tire on the car. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:35 PM
ratsttam
Captain

There could be dragging from the breaks, as well as maybe a worn wheel bearing.
The wishbone suspension may be bent (could have caused the broken tie-rod)

Old 02-22-2009, 06:31 PM
daveyboy43
Amateur

How can I check the wheel bearing and how difficult would that be to replace if it was bad? I do alot of my own work as I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM
ratsttam
Captain

jack up the wheel in question, and see if there is any play to it. it should also spin freely (if in "N") with no grinding, pulsing, etc.
If it is the wheel bearing, it is not a difficult repair. It will require taking off the break caliper to remove the hub. It is sold as a whole assembly, for just under 100$ here in PA.

I would also have an alignment shop check to see how good the shocks and other suspension components are.
You mentioned a bent/broken tie rod, there may have been something else twisted or bent that is causing the alignment to not hold.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 PM
daveyboy43
Amateur

Finally got a chance to jack the vehicle up and check for any play either up and down or side to side with tire and there is none at all. Also had someone suggest I measure on level ground the height from ground to bottom of fender above the wheel well on both sides up front and they are exactly the same in height. Can we eliminate bearing being the problem and anyone have any other suggestions to try? Could it be just any alignment problem and maybe it wasn't aligned properly before?

Quick Reply: 2000 Stratus tire problem