Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 fuel Pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:54 AM
andym1999
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 fuel Pump replacement

anyone every do this themselves? I need to have mine replaced and don't want to pay an arm and a leg.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:42 AM
ratsttam
Captain

I recall that there is an access panel in the trunk in front of the spare tire well (Might be thinking of my Cavalier though). It is a pretty straight forward job to do. If I'm wrong and the access panel isn't there, than you'll need to get under and drop the tank down to get to the pump. An empty tank will make this much easier. Either way, should not be technically a hard job, but might be a bit time consuming.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:12 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Access is under the passenger side rear seat. I'm looking at it right now in Chiltons. 4 screws on the access panel, 2 fuel lines and 1 electrical connection on the pump and looks like 3 screws holding the pump to the top of the tank. Piece of cake kid! The way it reads is that removal is pretty straight forward but it does sound as if you should get the complete fuel pump kit with the sending unit and fuel filter to eliminate any further problems that could occur with them as well. This is not something I'd be willing to pay someone else to do. Just take your time and keep everything clean and in order. AND DON'T BLOW YOURSELF UP!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 PM
andym1999
Amateur

thanks... i looked in the trunk and didn't see anything. I then looked under the rear seat and didn't see anything either. I think I am going to drop the tank. I got the fuel drained out already. Can't believe how expensive it is.

Any thoughts on getting a whole tank and pump assembly from a salvage yard and using that??

Old 09-24-2009, 04:14 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO! Fix what you got and then you'll know what you have. You don't know how long that junkyard tank has been sitting there and what it has in it. You really didn't see an access panel under the rear seat on the passenger side? Curious..........

I'd still pay the $200 for the new pump before I'd risk even more trouble on a used tank and pump.

Last edited by deranged; 09-25-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:01 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by andym1999
thanks... i looked in the trunk and didn't see anything. I then looked under the rear seat and didn't see anything either. I think I am going to drop the tank. I got the fuel drained out already. Can't believe how expensive it is.

Any thoughts on getting a whole tank and pump assembly from a salvage yard and using that??
I was wrong about the location. The Cav had it from the trunk, the Strat is under the rear seat, as mentioned. I would not get a junkyard pump unless you know the car was taken off the road very recently. If you do bother using one from a junkyard, be prepared to drain and clean it out.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:15 PM
andym1999
Amateur

well i ended up dropping the tank because I didn't find an access hole at all. Once I dropped the tank and saw where an access hole could be but it would not have been in the right spot to replace the pump. I took the risk of getting a pump from the junk yard. It was freshly removed from a tank because it still had gas in it and it was wet. So far so good all is running well.

Quick Reply: 2000 fuel Pump replacement