Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

second tranny swap, and new clutch again...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:03 AM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default second tranny swap, and new clutch again...

So this is my second tranny swap in about 4 or 5 months. Im gonna need something again, because when I release the clutch, even in neutral, and stuff starts spinning, there is major noise going on.

This is what I get for buying a used tranny with a 2 month warranty on it. I figured a manual tranny hardly ever goes out, but I see maybe that was wrong...

Im afraid to get it rebuilt because I dont want it to just go out again, but at least I would have more like a 1 or 2 year warranty...

So this will be my third attempt to getting things right with my tranny/clutch...

Ouch. At this point, I really wish I hadnt bought this car.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:06 AM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

By the way, my car is a 2005 Stratus coupe with a 2.4l engine, and a manual 5 speed tranny-

Old 03-28-2010, 01:40 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My trans is making noises now. Im still on my stock clutch with 111,000 miles too.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:10 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

How long has it been making the noises? Mine are pretty loud, and Im afraid of it breaking while on the road. But if yours has been like that for a while, maybe mine will go for a while...

Old 03-28-2010, 03:15 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

When I push in the clutch all the noise stops. I can hear the spinning slow down and then hault, in which the wierd noises go away. I let up the clutch pedal and woohoo, that dont sound healthy And like I said, had the whole clutch system replaced on the first tranny swap, and the clutch disc replaced on second swap just in case, cuz the springs were loose the guy said.

I dont think it is the clutc. I think it is the tranny itself.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:52 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star

Thats what mine does. More noticeable when i first start it up in the morning. once i release the clutch it makes a whirring noise. It will increase in sound as the RPM's go up. As I shift through the gears it changes in speed. 5th gear its almost silent. Could be because of road noise though. Its been doing this in my car since August. i talked to a local transmission guy and he said its something in the bottom of the transmission, and it would be better to just replace rather than to rebuild. I made a thread on 2g about it.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:02 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

Aww ok cool. Replace? With a new tranny or used? This is my second tranny, technically third, but the first one (stock one) didnt do this lol... I replaced the first one because when the clutch went out, a piece of it put a hole in the bell housing so fluid was free to go through to the clutch and fly wheel area.

Ill check your thread out on 26. Thanx man

Old 03-28-2010, 07:14 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star

He recommended a low mileage used transmission. cheapest i can find is $650 around here. ive kept up with maintenance and don't beat my car up so i dont know why its messed up. I even have the stock clutch which tells you I dont abuse it.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:24 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

Yeah the manual trannies aint cheap. Same with me. I dont abuse mine either which is why Im so frustrated.

Im either going to get this thing rebuilt or hopefully fidn a low mileage tranny from an eclipse or something.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:25 PM
lancejonesmusic
Rookie

cant find the link to your 2g thread. Mind posting it?

Quick Reply: second tranny swap, and new clutch again...