Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Cars > Dodge Stratus
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

overheating and heater blowing cold

Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Default overheating and heater blowing cold

So i know first thought is thermostat but i just put a new one in. It was a 195 which i usually dont like using but its what they had. The water pump is also new within the last 3 months. The heater does not blow hot air like it should, only warm and occasionally, not all the time but once in a while the temp gauge will go all the way almost to the red hang there for a minute or two, the fan kill kick on roaring, then drop back down to normal. any suggestions to what i can check or what might be going on here?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Captain
2003 Chrysler Town & Country
My Garage

Vehicle: 1g 2000 ES. V6 6g73 Autostick 41TE. Black Leather with Pioneer MP3/CD/Sirius

Sounds like you have some air in the coolant system. remove the radiator cap, run the car. When it stops gurgling [CAUTION: and spitting] slowly add more coolant until it is stable and swirling at the top. Add more coolant to the overflow tank to the proper level. Air in the coolant system can "vapor lock" it, causing the hot water to stay stuck in the engine.

Please fill out your profile (or add as your signature), so we know what Strat you have. Year, Trim, sedan/coupe, engine specs.

I see from a prior post you have a '00 2.4.

Last edited by ratsttam; 01-08-2010 at 11:33 AM..
Old 01-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

There's a little valve just under the thermostat housing. Open the valve. Attach a clear hose to it and while the engine is completely cool ad fluid until you see fluid escaping through your clear tube...
Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to joe0121 Send a message via Yahoo to joe0121

They sell flush and fill kits in parts stores as well.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Veteran
1995 Plymouth Acclaim
My Garage

Vehicle: 95 plymouth acclaim, 04 F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc010 View Post
So i know first thought is thermostat but i just put a new one in. It was a 195 which i usually dont like using but its what they had. The water pump is also new within the last 3 months. The heater does not blow hot air like it should, only warm and occasionally, not all the time but once in a while the temp gauge will go all the way almost to the red hang there for a minute or two, the fan kill kick on roaring, then drop back down to normal. any suggestions to what i can check or what might be going on here?
Have your head checked. You could have a bad head gasket. That'll cause all the problems you described.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:02 PM
2002 Dodge Stratus

Vehicle: Stratus R/T

Dodge is notorious for faulty heater core issues. Clean it out it should def help
Old 04-25-2010, 06:02 PM