Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Cars > Dodge Stratus
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 Dodge Stratus, 2.4L Problems

Old 02-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Default 2000 Dodge Stratus, 2.4L Problems

I'm at a complete loss as to the problem of this car. All help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus, 2.4L and it's been acting up recently. I've never had problems with it before, then one night all hell seemed to break loose. I drove it for about 40-50 miles to the local school, stayed there all day, then started the drive home.

About 15 miles from the school, the engine just died out, with electric still on. Managing to make it to the side of the road, I tried to turn everything off and turn it back on, with no success. About 20 minutes later, I tried again and it started right up... for about four minutes, before doing the same thing.

The next day, after towing the car back home, the car started right up again and ran for about 15 minutes, before cutting out again. This is the current condition of the car, with symptoms repeating. Again, the engine dies out, but electric stays on inside the car.

It almost seems as though the engine has to warm up before it cuts out, then has to cool down before it will start up again.

I got my hands on a code reader, and pulled these three codes:
P0601 - Internal PCM controller failure (Has actually been in there long before the current problem)
P0700 - Trans control system malfuntion.
P0725 - Engine speed sensor circuit

At the moment I'm at a loss of what to do, has anyone seen anything like this before? I can't get it to run long enough to get it to a dealer, and I'm trying to avoid towing it to one if at all possible. I've searched through these forums and through google in general and haven't found very much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just your thoughts on the situation (or by posting "that sucks.")

Thanks again,
Luke
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Captain
2003 Chrysler Town & Country
My Garage

Vehicle: 1g 2000 ES. V6 6g73 Autostick 41TE. Black Leather with Pioneer MP3/CD/Sirius

P0700 - Trans control system malfunction.
P0725 - Engine speed sensor circuit

These two go hand in hand. If the input speed sensor or output speed sensor on the trans isn't working right while heated, it will shut things down to prevent damage.

I would look at the transmission input speed sensor first.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Garage is empty, add now

I appreciate the quick answer, but I have a couple other questions and concerns to throw out there. Please keep in mind that my knowledge is generally limited in a lot of these areas, so please try to bear with me.

A little more information on the car:
  • 4-cylinder engine
  • 4-speed automatic
I purchased a Haynes Repair Manual (probably my worst move yet, it puts me in that "knows just enough to be dangerous" category) and have been looking through it a little.

Searching out a little more information on the engine speed sensor, the only thing I could come up with is: "Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) - Manual transaxle only", and then it goes on to detail how to check it. I'll probably go later today to see if I can find where it's talking about, but (and please correct me if I'm wrong) it's saying it's for a manual only, whereas mine is an automatic. In the event that I'm able to find it, I'll do my best to check it and see if I find anything glaringly obvious. I'll make sure to update.

Initially I had dismissed the speed sensor, as the car doesn't have to be moving for it to shut down. There's a good chance though, as before, that I've assumed too much here.

Again, thanks for the quick response.

Last edited by luke.gaddie; 02-24-2010 at 07:11 AM..
Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Garage is empty, add now

After posting the above, I decided to break out the jack and take a look. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find anything resembling the picture in the Haynes manual.

Any suggestions, words of advice, or general pointers?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Captain
My Garage

Vehicle: 1g 2000 ES. V6 6g73 Autostick 41TE. Black Leather with Pioneer MP3/CD/Sirius

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.gaddie View Post
After posting the above, I decided to break out the jack and take a look. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find anything resembling the picture in the Haynes manual.

Any suggestions, words of advice, or general pointers?
Unfortunately I can only point out what the general errors mean, and that the two are most certainly related. I do not share the same engine you have (I roll the V6) so I am unable to even look for you. I would start checking wires and connections. Look for any chafed or worn insulation, rusted ground points, etc.
For what it's worth, I've found the haynes manual to be riddled with errors in regards to my car. There is three engines (2.0, 2.4, 2.5v6) and three trans (5sp manual, 4sp auto, 4sp tiptronic), and they don't seem to have the correct combination there.

If you can find a copy of the "Factory service manual" that would be your best bet, it is what the dealership mechanics have access to and is usually very detailed about where things are, as well as how to get to them.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: stratus 2000
Send a message via ICQ to ptystratus00 Send a message via MSN to ptystratus00

i had the same problem and changed both sensors input and output and problem solved, if you have a someone with the same car you can try it out first and see what happen. my problem were those 2 sensors.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Followup:

Alright guys, so I finally got fed up with it (after finding out that (as far as I know) the automatics don't have an input speed sensor) and decided to take it over to firestone to have them do the $80 diagnostic and (eventually) repair.

Turns out, it was the Crank Position Sensor that had gone bad. I went ahead and had them replace it and clean out the fuel system as well (they said a lot of carbon buildup could have been contributing to it running bad).

After they replaced the Crank Position Sensor, the car runs fine. On a side note, where they charged $179.53 for the sensor, and $42.50 for labor, we checked at AutoZone immediately after (and found out that they are the distributor to Firestone!) and the actual sensor there was only $64.

Complete cost of check and fix of the sensor (without fuel cleaning): $302.02

On the notes section of the receipt, they also said that they pulled more codes than I managed to when I pulled them myself (which still makes me scratch my head with a "wtf?" expression):

• P0320
  • P1391
  • P1489
Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Captain
My Garage

P0320 Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction
P1319 No listing
p1489 No listing

So... The first one just tells you what you already knew. I wonder if the others are related to the ecu malfunction your original codes showed?
Old 02-27-2010, 08:42 PM