Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Bad leak, flooded passenger side floorboard & constant crackling in speaker

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:22 PM
dwatkins6886
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad leak, flooded passenger side floorboard & constant crackling in speaker

Hey gang, I'm completely new to this forum. I need some desperate help though. I have a 2003 Dodge Stratus R/T, bought new & never EVER had any leaks anywhere on it.

For the past 4 months, its been parked & with a Mopar car cover over it. Got in it today, battery completely dead. My brother disconnected the battery and let it fully charge all day on battery charger. Once battery was reconnected, got in it to start it up. Heard CONSTANT loud crackling & popping in the speakers before I even put the key in the ignition. Also, noticed the entire passenger-side floorboard was flooded with about 1/2" of water and had mildewed as well. I've never ever had any leak problems with this car, and constantly drove it before this dormant period for it. It basically hasn't been started up or moved in over 4 months. Now I got a mess on my hands and cannot even keep the battery connected because of the horrid loud crackling & popping noise from the speakers.

HELPPP!!!! Anyone had any experience with stuff like this?

Old 04-10-2010, 06:41 PM
dwatkins6886
Unhappy

Well, we think the leak came from the factory-installed sunroof while sitting at a tilt in the yard. Got almost all the water shop-vac'ed out, and disconnected the fuse for the radio for now.

Gave it a test drive up the street, drove fine for about 2 mins, then started stalling out. Is a manual drive car. Now it won't stay started at all from ignition .... anybody help?

Old 04-12-2010, 01:09 PM
castlenut
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know what your money situation is like but I would start with an electrical tune up, plugs, wires, ignition coil...

Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 PM
NowADodgeMan
Amateur

I had the same problem in my 2004 Stratus R/T. There are tracks on either side of the sunroof that lead to a cup at the back corners of the sunroof. Cups are open at top with a small rubber hose out the bottom that goes to the side of the car above the rear side window and into the rear quarterpanel to drain out the bottom of the car. If parked on an incline or slope, so the nose of the car is up, then too much rain or water from a hose(washing the car) will overflow the cup and the water will run down the B pillar and out onto the floor. Had to take entire interior out of the car to figure out the problem. I can't park in my driveway anymore.

As for the radio, if you have the stock infiniti system, there is a factory amp under the passenger side seat. When wet this can cause the feed back you are hearing, thou it is usually when the radio is turned on nwith key in ignition. My sugesstion is to remove the passenger side seat(2 bolts in rear, 2 nuts in front) as well as the amp (3 screws), and let the amp air dry for a day or 2. There is also the possiblity that the amp is shot from being wet and then turned on. Might want to either by-pass or replace the amp if drying it out doesn't work.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Quick Reply: Bad leak, flooded passenger side floorboard & constant crackling in speaker