Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2002 stratus 2.7 hates to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:43 PM
lisa1256
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 stratus 2.7 hates to start

help !!!!!! at wits end here. 2 weeks ago while making a quick stop i got back in my car and hit the key. all it did was crank..... and then the engine light came on... after about 3 mins and holding my foot to the floor and cranking it finally fired and started. i didn't think much of it cause the rest of the day it start every time i hit the key. after about an hour the light also went off. about 2 days later it did it again. no amount of cranking it or holding my foot to the floor would make it start. while waiting for a ride a guy came out of the store i was sitting in front of and suggested that i hit the key 3 time to prime the pump and i'll be darn it fired right up. so the next day i called my local car fixer and had him come get it to replace the fuel pump. well it's not the pump. you can hear it working in the tank and it's got good pressure. the car fixer said the code showed the cam shaft sensor and said it would be ready it about 2 hours. well it started right up that day and i thought i was good..... wrong.... the next day the same thing crank crank crank nothing...... back to the shop.... still the cam shaft sensor.... so we replace the crank shaft sensor..... hey lady your car is fixed this time come get it... so i did.... and it was for about a day and half... same thing. now the car fixer has decided that he doesn't know what's wrong and is at a lost.. mind you he is 500 dollar richer but at a lost. during the last week we go from fire right up to crank crank crank.... no hyme or reason. i've figured out that if i just let it crank for about 10 seconds it will start. but now it's strating to sputter when i put my foot in it. ( like when i pull out at an intersection yikes.. ) not every time though and it always comes out of it. other than the above it still runs great. it's just getting it to start. any ideas ??? i really dont want to pay anyone else to hunt and peck on it.

so far here is what i've done of have had done

new plugs
new cam and crank sensor
fuel pump test good
the only codes it show are the cam sensor.
any help ??????

ps a new car is not an option. this one was dad's he got it 3 months before he passed away plus my son starts college this fall so i dont need a car payment. besides it only has 102,000 (90% highway) on it.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 AM
franchisco7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is another post that was dealing with the same issue here is the link. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-s...something.html

Quick Reply: 2002 stratus 2.7 hates to start