Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Is this the ECM? - 2001 Dodge Stratus

Old 08-07-2010, 05:21 PM
bcurrey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is this the ECM? - 2001 Dodge Stratus

We have a 01 Dodge Stratus with 98k miles. The check engine light has started going off and on for about 3 weeks now. Took it to Advance Auto for a code check. Came back P0601 with a probable cause of Shorted input sensor, shorted electrical current or failed ECM.

They suggested taking it to the dealer. I HATE the dealer here. I don't trust them at all. I've read where its easy to replace the ECM on other Dodge's but I can't find anything on the Statrus's.

Can someone tell me where the ECM is located?

I see where they are a couple hundred bucks, should I consider one from a junk yard?

How difficult is it to replace?

What about programming? Do I have to get it programed or anything?

Appreciate your help!!!!

Old 09-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Jim Rodenbaugh

On the RT its plugged into a slot in engine compartment fuser box.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:34 AM
Douggro
Rookie

A failed PCM is the most probable cause for the P0601 code.

There are several online vendors that sell refurbished PCM's including flashing them with your VIN and mileage for ~$200. For example, see http://yhst-21854666697846.stores.ya...stpcmecm1.html

The national auto parts chains can also source a flashed PCM for you, though expect a higher price. You could get one from a salvage yard as long as the part numbers are the same and the engine configuration matches, but it would need to be flashed for the mileage at the minimum to stay within the laws regarding odometer readings. And you never really know what you're getting from the salvage yard.. Better to just do a remanufactured unit to be safe IMHO.

The '01 is probably similar to the earlier years and the PCM is on the drivers side of the engine compartment, right up front next to the Power Distribution Center where the fuses and relays are located (along with the Positive battery lead).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this the ECM? - 2001 Dodge Stratus