Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Problems with car not starting...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:55 PM
atimehascome
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with car not starting...

I went out to start my '99 stratus and it just cranks over. It never starts, but just sits and cranks like normal. I've done a little bit of research and it seems like the crankshaft sensor may be a culprit. Does anyone know what the ohmmeter reading should be for the crankshaft sensors and the camshaft sensors? Or anything else I could try? It's a V6 and it just started doing this. Thanks a lot!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:53 AM
castlenut
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know if your getting spark? Can you hear your fuel pump engage when you turn the key to the on position? How many miles on your car? Can you take the top timing chain cover off to see if your belt is intact? Let us know..

Old 04-05-2010, 09:22 PM
atimehascome

There is just under 110k miles on it. It is firing, but it's still not starting. I've replaced the camshaft sensor, spark plugs/wires, and the distributor. It ran for a couple minutes, but stalled if you didn't ease on the gas. Now, it's just cranking over again and not starting. I feel like I'm back at square one.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 PM
atimehascome

Well, the spark plugs are getting a nice blue spark. The fuel pump does engage when you turn the key, and the timing belt looks good. It's getting the correct fuel pressure. Today, it almost started, but just bogged right back down. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated right now. I really need my car back on the road. The person I have working on it right now has pretty much ran out of ideas, so I don't know what to do from here.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
castlenut
Professional

Can you get an OBD reader on it and see what codes it spits out? Also how about your MAP sensor. I remember once having it unplugged from the wiring harness and the car totally did not like that. It behaved much like your saying. It was missing and bogging down. The MAP sensor mounts to the intake manifold. Let us know...

Old 04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
atimehascome

The only code that came back was for the cam shaft. It isn't currently spitting out any codes at all. I haven't checked the map sensor yet, but that's a great idea!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:02 PM
castlenut
Professional

Strange that the computer is not spitting any codes out now? How do we know it's not the computer? Try making the computer spit out some codes for you. How about taking the gas cap off and try starting it. It should spit out a PO456 code. Let us know. ..

Old 04-12-2010, 01:36 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by castlenut
Strange that the computer is not spitting any codes out now? How do we know it's not the computer? Try making the computer spit out some codes for you. How about taking the gas cap off and try starting it. It should spit out a PO456 code. Let us know. ..
Unfortunately, that will only throw a code when it pulls air in via the gas cap, after it's pulled some fuel from the tank... The car will need to be running for that to happen. Disconnect known good sensors, and that will throw the respective codes (remove camshaft sensor, will immediately throw a camshaft sensor error). Of course, the issue may be caused by an area that the computer does not monitor.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:53 PM
atimehascome

Yea, I tried the gas cap thing before, and it wouldn't bring out a code at all. A guy down the street put one on it and nothing is coming out. We went to a couple different junk yards to get a used computer, and every single stratus was missing theirs. Is this a common problem on the '99 then?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:24 AM
castlenut
Professional

Did you try what Ratsttam has suggested? Removing the camshaft sensor? Give it a try just to make sure. I've read a couple instances where the computer has gone down but I don't have too much experience there. Does anyone know if you have to flash the thing before you install? I think you do. Let us know how you make out. Good luck...

Quick Reply: Problems with car not starting...