Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

power steering help 2001 stratus rt

Old 09-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Bossmunk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool power steering help 2001 stratus rt

im having a problem with my power steering i filled the fluid up and the pump is working but my steering is still difficult is there a way to bleed the line to get the air out

Old 09-28-2010, 03:58 PM
castlenut
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you know your pump is working? Is your belt on tight? Hmmm you may have a bad rack n pinion. You could try disconnecting the return line on your power steering reservoir and see if the pump is pumping. It will also tell you what kind of fluid you have in your racknpinion. With the car turned off. Cover your alternator with plastic, and have a few shop towels ready. You MUST be very neat. Dont get fluid on your belts too! Disconnect the return line and plug the hole in your reservoir. Add a clear extension tube to the return line and place it in a clean bucket. The outer diameter of the clear tube should fit inside the return line nice and snug so it wont leak. Then when your all set up crank the the engine but do not let it run! You will kill your pump if you let it run! Power steering fluid should flow into your bucket. Fill the reservoir back up with clean fluid and crank again. You want to see what type of fluid runs out. Keep doing this until you notice clean fluid coming out of the return line. Inspect your fluid, if it comes out brown or white you may have a leak in the system and you may have damage. Let us know how you make out.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 PM
sapporo
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

=in the past year, I've had to replace pump and racks on 4 01+ stratus'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: power steering help 2001 stratus rt