Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 Stratus-issues with idle, stalls at times, etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 01:37 AM
aw27932
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Stratus-issues with idle, stalls at times, etc

Hey guys! Listen i have a 01 Stratus SE 2.4l DOHC. Here is the problem i am having. Sometimes when i go to start my car there is a hesitation and after a few seconds, the car will start right up.Sometimes i can get in the car and it will start up as normal.The other issues are that when my car is idling the rpms will rev up and down ( I dont have my foot on the gas) and the after that if i dont apply the gas it will shut off.I also notice at times when i come to a stop sign or have to brake it will rev like it wants to keep going forward and it also does this when im backing up. Now my oil and trans fluid is fine, but i noticed the other day that there was some oil on my spark plug wire when i lifted it out but i couldnt take my spark plug out (didnt have tool to do it) so i'm thinking there is prob some oil on the spark plug itself.The number of the spark plug was 3, the others 1,2, and 4 didnt have any oil on theirs.Oh i also noticed that when im backing up and if the car shuts off or stalls there is a smell and from what ive seen the smoke appears blue.
I was thinking that maybe i needed new spark plugs. I dont know what it is.Anybody had this problem? Thanks for any and all help.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:07 AM
aw27932

Input anyone?

Old 10-15-2010, 01:29 PM
castlenut
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the engine light on? See if you can get a code reader on her. Blue smoke is not a good sign. Get the tools u need to remove the spark plugs so that u can better inspect them. Let us know what u find and good luck...

Old 10-16-2010, 05:00 PM
aw27932

Originally Posted by castlenut
Is the engine light on? See if you can get a code reader on her. Blue smoke is not a good sign. Get the tools u need to remove the spark plugs so that u can better inspect them. Let us know what u find and good luck...
Castlenut, the check engine light is not on.I was also wondering if i possibly needed a fuel pump relay? Does any place like Autozone or AdvanceAuto do free code readings?

Old 10-17-2010, 02:08 PM
military joe

yeah most places like that will. generally if you have oil on your plugs your piston rings are going out. but there could be some other causes but not many.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:55 PM
aw27932

Originally Posted by military joe
yeah most places like that will. generally if you have oil on your plugs your piston rings are going out. but there could be some other causes but not many.
Military Joe, when i checked the number 3 had oil on it the others seemed to be ok. I wwas going to replace the spark plugs anyway bc i dont think they car has had them changed so its about time anyway.Ok what type of repair is it if my piston rings are going out, is it a DIY or do i need to take it in to a mechanic?

Old 10-17-2010, 11:15 PM
military joe

Replacing the plugs will help for a little while, But it will eventually return. Depending on your skills and experiance as a mechanic it can be a very easy DIY. If you don't have engine experiance i would recommend you take it to a shop or have someone who you know do it for you it can save money.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:17 AM
aw27932

Originally Posted by military joe
Replacing the plugs will help for a little while, But it will eventually return. Depending on your skills and experiance as a mechanic it can be a very easy DIY. If you don't have engine experiance i would recommend you take it to a shop or have someone who you know do it for you it can save money.
Ok can i just have the piston rings cleaned or do i need to buy new piston rings etc what do i need to do? I am not mechanically inclined but i know someone that may be able to take care of this for me. Thanks for your help military joe.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 AM
aw27932

Hey military joe i had the spark plugs changed last nite and the car does seem to be running much much better.The car still revs up and down just very slightly when i am at a stop or idle but i dont know if its bc i had the spark plugs changed.Also will i still need the piston rings done (cleaned or bought)? About how much would a job like that cost? The guy i was talking to said something about to have that done he would have to go in and it would almost be like having to do the engine again.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:08 PM
aw27932

Here is another symptom im having.When my car is idling or when i am coming to a stop or backing up, it seems as if the car rpm revs up and down, is this bc i need a idle air control valve? If so will cleaning it solve the problem or will i have to buy a new one? Thnx for any and all help

Quick Reply: 2001 Stratus-issues with idle, stalls at times, etc