Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

99 Dodge Stratus fuel pump issues ?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 AM
DougG
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Dodge Stratus fuel pump issues ?????

I have a 99 Stratus with a 2.0 liter engine, 5 speed , with 306,000 miles on it , last night coming home it bucked a little bit,- ran- than bucked around some more and finally quit bout a mile from the house ; it seemed like it ran out of gas , the gauge shows little above quarter ; I know this is right cause I just put ten bucks in it ; my question is - when you turn the key on you can hear the electric fuel pump run like normal it turns over but will not start , could it be the electric fuel pump ? With this many miles I was thinking of changing it any way , but I need to get it running , its my go to work car !!! All my past issues with electric fuel pumps in the past were they just quit, burned the relay and were done ; any thing else it could be ? I,ll get it back here and check it out , just wondering ; Thanks

Old 12-07-2010, 10:31 PM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional

Put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail. I think 5 to 7 pounds. You got pressure, you got a good pump.
However, you may not be getting gas through the injectors. When you hear the pump run do it eventually stop? When it reaches a certain pressure it should stop.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

FUEL PUMP PRESSURE TEST - 2.0/2.4L ENGINES
The fuel system operates at approximately 338 kPa (49 ±2 psi) Check fuel system pressure at the test port on the fuel rail.

Remove cap from fuel pressure test port on fuel rail.
Connect Fuel Pressure Gauge C-4799B to test port Checking Fuel Pressure at Intake Manifold
CAUTION: When using the ASD Fuel System Test, the ASD relay and fuel pump relay remain energized for 7 minutes or until the test is stopped, or until the ignition switch is turned to the Off position.

Place ignition key in the ON position. Using DRB scan tool, access ASD Fuel System Test. The ASD Fuel System Test will activate the fuel pump and pressurize the system.
If the gauge reading equals 338 kPa (49 ±2 psi) further testing is not required. If pressure is not correct, record the pressure.
If pressure is above specifications, check for a kinked or restricted fuel return tube (from filter to pump module) If the fuel return tube is not pinched or restricted, replace the fuel pressure regulator.
If fuel pressure is below specifications, refer to the diagnosis chart for Fuel Pressure Below Specifications.
Replace Pressure test port cap when finished doing pressure test. Fuel Pressure Diagnose

Old 12-08-2010, 04:50 PM
DougG
Amateur

Thanks for the replys, it turns out the cam sensor showed at fault, the one I have is discontinued and I have to make a new one work; the head has a ring around the cam magnet , bout three sixteenths out , the old sensor fit over the ring , this one doesnt , any ideas ?

Quick Reply: 99 Dodge Stratus fuel pump issues ?????