Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

c.v. joint/half shaft replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:22 PM
kang25
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c.v. joint/half shaft replacement

I have an '02 stratus r/t. 3.0 v6. I have had some serious vibration problems when accelerating, upon removing the passenger side front wheel I noticed a cut in the boot for the c.v. joint (engine side) and think this is what is causing the problem, maybe water got inside. lifted the car up and ran with no wheels on, vibration was a lot less, but still noticable, so I've gathered its when the half shaft is under stress/load i.e. acceleration. You can also hear like a "clink" and almost metal to metal grinding from time to time, and even when spinning the tire by hand. Has anyone had this problem before? I have a few buddies who are confident they can replace the half shaft fairly easily, but wanted me to ask if there is anything out of the ordinary to look out for, or if my problem may be something else. I took it to a local mechanic and all he had to offer was "that could probably be the problem" and wanted a rediculous amount of money to replace the $80 half shaft. Any d.i.y. advice would be appreciated. Or even an "order of removal" for getting to the half shaft, and putting it back on. Thanks

Old 11-18-2010, 12:56 AM
d-strat02
Default Same problem

My stratus is doing the same thing, only when I turn though. It almost feels like the car gets jumpy and I hear that metal "clink" at the same time.

I've built 3 64' Impala's and done the rear differential, but I'm not quite sure how different it is on the Stratus's. Definately know how you feel on taking it to shops because the prices to get these things repaired is rediculous!

If you've already done it, some advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:26 PM
castlenut
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use to have a 63 chevy Impala! It got totaled in front of my house by some drunk idiot! But thats another story! [As I close my eyes and grimace in anger] LOL! If your boot is cracked I would definitely replace axle regardless of what you hear. I just did both of mine on my 2.4l DOHC Sedan. I would jack the front end up and put it on jack stands high enough so that you could slide under neath it. Remove caliper and hang wit wire to move it out of the way. Remove rotor. I think I also undid the lower strut mount or "clevis" where it attaches to lower control arm. If you undo that bolt, once you remove the nut use a hammer to bang the bolt out. It has a serrated head so you'll strip it if you try to turn it. Undo the lower ball joint with out tearing the boot. Once you loosen the castlenut and remove the cotter pin from the balljoint. Hit the boss area with a hammer "the area just underneath the castle nut" but not the lower control arm. That should allow you to drop the lower control arm. If the axle gives you a hard time removing it from the hub. Like mine did the first time. Use a good 3 jaw puller to ease it out of the hub. Once you remove it from the hub. Support the hub end securely and slide under neath the car. I used a small pry bar to give me just enough leverage to carefully pry loose the axle from the tranny. Make sure your underneath the car so that you can firmly grab that axle at this point as it exits the tranny . You don't want that splined end of the shaft hitting that tranny seal!!

When your putting the new one back in use a little grease on the C clip attached to the spline end to kind of keep it centered when you insert it back in. Once in, give it a good tug to make sure she's in! You may also want to think about doing the bearings since you will have already done all the work to get at them! Let us know how you guys make out!!

Last edited by castlenut; 11-19-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:24 AM
d-strat02

Okay, so if this is even worth reading for you anymore, I'm just about done fixing my stratus. Check all of your motor mounts, they will tear up your new cv-half shafts. There are one on each side of the motor. Right side connected to transmission and frame, one in front on the center frame piece (easy to see), one under your coolant resivoir, and one behind the motor running along the center frame piece. Make sure your tie rods aren't torn up. If you still hear that clink sound check the rack and pinions on each side of the front of the car, they'll cause the tires to bind up while your turning. And best of all, make sure your tranny has oil in it! I started hearing a warbling sound and just stopped driving.

Quick Reply: c.v. joint/half shaft replacement