Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

stratus trans removal

Old 01-05-2011, 06:50 AM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stratus trans removal

I'm having a bad week. my intrepid 2.7 crapped out (imagine that ) and I've been struggling for the past few days trying to come up with a way to connect a lift chain to pull it out. now my 95 stratus trans lost 3rd gear. 2.5 v-6 41TE trans. I already know for a fact it's internal so I don't need any guessing it needs sensors or solenoid pack (I had a couple very good trans guys tell me the exact same thing as to the failure - OD hub or planet carrier. they both said CVI's are perfect, one guy measured apply pressure and he said it was perfect then explained how the trans works. He even had a planet set on his bench and showed me how the clutches apply and release for the different gears then showed a broke OD hub and how that is the same symptoms my car has).

my question is any tips on removing the trans from this car. Mitchel manual says to remove the radiator and all the crossmembers. It looks like I need to move the main crossmember (where the rack and a-frames attach) but can I get away with not pulling the radiator crossmember and the bar under the oil pan. I found I cant get the starter all the way out without dropping the front exhaust pipe (WTF) I just left it laying on the pipe, it's out of the way.

I'd appreciate any input from people that have pulled these transmissions as to any shortcuts / R&R tips.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't remove the radiator or the crossmember. Do remove the rear/main crossmember, and leave the rack n pinion in the car.As long as you are not replacing the center motor mount you won't need to remove it. Then remove all the connectors and hose's from the bottom. If you remove the oil filter you can get the starter out. Leave the exhaust on the engine. It will a bit tight,but it can be done.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
22DODGE22

thanks. I took off the filter but the starter hits the exhaust pipe and the ac compressor so it wont come out but i'm just going to leave it lay on the pipe. I took out the rear main crossmember. what a bitch. I had one of them hidden nuts spin so I had to cut a hole in the frame to get a wrench on it. I couldn't find any access what so ever to the nut. I suppse I need to remove the rear trans mount off the trans. how do you get at the 3 top bolts for the trans mount on top of the diff? I took out the tcm and air cleaner intake hose/baffle which gave me a lot more room to get at trans cooler hoses, solenoid pack, input speed sensor. got off the shifter arm. once I get the back 3 trans mount bolts, I'll be ready to pull the trans.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:15 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I use a breaker bar with a short 18mm socket to break them loose and then use a wrench.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:28 PM
22DODGE22

Got it out. Once I got the crossmember out, things got a lot easier to get at. the 2 bolts for the front mount to trans were a little tricky to get at. Pulled the pump, pulled input assembly and found stripped splines on a planet. Tomorrow, I'm off to find a replacement.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 PM
22DODGE22

I got the OD carrier, OD hub, pump gasket, pump o-ring, filter, 8 qts trans fluid, total cost under $100.

Put the trans together, got it in the car. Should have it buttoned up Monday.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:51 PM
22DODGE22

Just about done. took a while to find some new bolts for crossmember. 2 main bolts were rusted bad and necked down on diameter, no strenght left. Had to spot weld teh captured nut in the frame. What a joke. No access what so ever to that nut without cutting the frame.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Rury
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What were your symtoms of your tranny? Mine just stopped altogether. Engine just revved. tranny shop tells me min of 2500 repair. I could pull trans and open up. Did a turbo 400 years ago with my Dad and worked fine for years after. I think it was pump that went, would like to test.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stratus trans removal