Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

98 stratus ES whining noise from alternator area BUT its not the alternator!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 PM
jglewis123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 stratus ES whining noise from alternator area BUT its not the alternator!

98 stratus ES whining noise from alternator area BUT its not the alternator! Shop replaced with a new one but the whining noise still gets higher with engine rpm increasing. Arggggg.
$225 down the hole. What next to ck? Serpentine Idler pully bearing or ? Jeff

Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First any shop that replaces a part that doesn't fix the problem has NO right to charge for an false repair. Sounds like you're not capable of mechanical repairs? Maybe take it to someone that's willing to diagnose properly. I'd personally start with removing the drive belt and see if the noise is still present. Or could the whining noise be caused by someone in the car? I have that problem when my mom rides with me.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An inexpensive mechanics stethoscope is the best troubleshooting tool for these types of noise. Looks like a doctor's except the pick-up has a long rod. It would have isolated the problem. You can't put the probe on a moving part, but the noise will pass through the mount or casting.

Quick Reply: 98 stratus ES whining noise from alternator area BUT its not the alternator!