Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2005 Stratus p0700 code

Old 03-14-2011, 07:52 PM
XCyclonusX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Stratus p0700 code

Last month I took my Stratus in to get the oil and transmission fluid checked and changed. Last week my check engine light came on. Also at a stop light the engine will sometime rev and the speedometer will rev with it like it was the rpm needle. This is usally followed by the transmission trying to engage and the car lurching forward, or trying to. Also sometime when I come out of a stop the transmission will not shift the car into a higher gear. the rpm needle will go up to 3k sometime 4k until I pull off somewhere, turn the car off and then turn it back on. I checked the engine code with the ignition key BKM and the code p0700 came up and nothing else.
2005 dodge stratus sedan v6 stx
75000 miles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Ck the fluid first,If its low. This will cause a lot of transmission problems. You need to have the transmission module checked for stored or active codes and then post.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get the speedo issue (Revs like it's the rpms?) Are you saying the car sits completely stationary and you step on the gas and the Speedo is reading even though your not moving?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah, Like Master tech stated, You could be just Low on Trans fluid. P0700 just means you got Trans issue, further diagnostic requires.
And Where did you do ur trans service?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:00 AM
22DODGE22

Originally Posted by XCyclonusX
Last month I took my Stratus in to get the oil and transmission fluid checked and changed. Last week my check engine light came on. Also at a stop light the engine will sometime rev and the speedometer will rev with it like it was the rpm needle. This is usally followed by the transmission trying to engage and the car lurching forward, or trying to. Also sometime when I come out of a stop the transmission will not shift the car into a higher gear. the rpm needle will go up to 3k sometime 4k until I pull off somewhere, turn the car off and then turn it back on. I checked the engine code with the ignition key BKM and the code p0700 came up and nothing else.
2005 dodge stratus sedan v6 stx
75000 miles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

how does the speedo reving like RPM's have anything to do with transmission fluid?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:02 PM
XCyclonusX

The tranny fluid level is fine. I had the fluids checked at a Jiffy lube. I know I know, but I use Jiffy lube because my friend works there and takes care of me. He's relocated since then so Im looking for a new place. The car has about 75000 miles and never had transmission issues before.
When I say the speedo acts like the rpm needle I mean the needle moves with the rev of the engine. So I pull up to a red light and while Im sitting there the engine will rev slightly on its own. The speedo needle will fluctuate with the rev like the rpm needle and soemtime the tranny will try to shift. If Im parked with the car idling and the in park then the engine will still rev slightly once and a while, the speedo needle will also fluctuate with the rev but the tranny will not try and shift.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:01 PM
XCyclonusX

Harbor Freight has a diag tool for $50.
CAN OBDII Code Reader with Multilingual Menu

would this be adequate for personal use and do you know if it will tell me the codes stored in the TCM?

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:22 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by XCyclonusX
Harbor Freight has a diag tool for $50.
CAN OBDII Code Reader with Multilingual Menu

would this be adequate for personal use and do you know if it will tell me the codes stored in the TCM?

Thanks.
You can get your ODBII codes right on your cluster (like the OP's p0700). No reader needed, just turn it to on/off/on/off/on a couple times to show them, unless you want to clear the codes. To diagnose a p0700 (transmission fault), you will need a much more advanced reader called DRBIII. Mostly only dodge/Chrysler dealers have this scan tool, although some independent shops have invested in them. A basic one will run you about $1,500.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Plasma

or you can take it to advance auto, autozone, etc will usually read the codes for free

they wont clear fault codes etc but it gives you a free good way to see wtf is going on.

been doing this a for a few years and they get most my biz for parts etc..

Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 PM
22DODGE22

Originally Posted by ratsttam
You can get your ODBII codes right on your cluster (like the OP's p0700). No reader needed, just turn it to on/off/on/off/on a couple times to show them, unless you want to clear the codes. To diagnose a p0700 (transmission fault), you will need a much more advanced reader called DRBIII. Mostly only dodge/Chrysler dealers have this scan tool, although some independent shops have invested in them. A basic one will run you about $1,500.
Wouldn't a cheaper scanner like a snap-on MT2500 do the TCM info? They are a lot less than a DRBIII (which are $3000-$5000 on Ebay). Where a snappy will run less than $800

Originally Posted by Plasma
or you can take it to advance auto, autozone, etc will usually read the codes for free

they wont clear fault codes etc but it gives you a free good way to see wtf is going on.

been doing this a for a few years and they get most my biz for parts etc..
The 3x key cycle gives the EXACT same think that Autozone code reading toy says. Legally they can't clear codes (that's a violation of Emissions laws since nothing was done to fix the problem)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Stratus p0700 code