Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Changing the Thermostat on a 2.7 RT

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:43 PM
rpjepson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the Thermostat on a 2.7 RT

Hello all,

I have just bought a 2005 RT Sedan. It is throwing up error code P0128, which on reading around the topic seems likely to be the thermostat. It isn't overheating, so I'm assuming the thermostat is stuck open.

There appears to be a big difference in opinion as to how easy/difficult it is to change the thermostat. Some web pages suggest it's easy, others describe a need to remove a wheel to get at it.

I'm no great mechanic, so if it's anything more onerous than, for example, an oil change, I'd want to take it somewhere to be fixed.

Can anyone give me some advice please?

thanks,

Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 PM
BillS
Captain

could be a number of things low coolant dirty coolant ,thermostat, bad temperature sensor, air intake sensor, bad fans do the fans turn on when you start car b4 it heats up ,I would say take it someplace and have them check thermostat is kind of a pain to get to the real pain is refilling the coolant after (if its the same as an 04 have to add to overflow tank) and get it into engine and bleed air from system

Old 07-15-2013, 11:57 AM
rpjepson

Thanks for replying.

The fan seems to work normally. The temp gauge hardly moves, even in the current warm weather, so I'm assuming the thermostat is stuck partially or fully open.

Is there a major difference between an '04 and and '05? Various You Tube videos suggest with the 2.7 it's a piece of cake - you unbolt the hose, pull the thermostat out and that's it.

Too good to be true, perhaps?

Thanks

Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 PM
BillS
Captain

you said gauge hardly moves what do you mean does it go from cold and warm up ,or not move much at all .not much difference between 04 @ 05 not very hard just a pain to get to it, stuff close together ,might want to check you tube for a video on how to refill radiator(unless 05 has a radiator cap) kind of hard to explain proper way to refill .

Old 07-16-2013, 02:36 PM
rpjepson

Thanks again for replying. The gauge barely goes above cold, even in the current weather.

Quick Reply: Changing the Thermostat on a 2.7 RT