Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Oil light on 2004 Stratus 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Dwreckn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light on 2004 Stratus 2.7

First of all, Hello everyone, new here, had my stratus for 2 years, also have a 2000 Durango.

My problem is: my oil light has flickered a couple times on the stratus while I have been at idle in a drive thru. I've never seen it any other time, oil changed 2k miles ago with mobil super high mileage. Oil is Full on stick. Could it be the oil pump? Any other ideas or suggestions? It is a 2.7 v6 with 104,000 miles. I also have a squeeling noise from the belt that will do it mostly when it is cold but sometimes when warm also. Power steering full, belt has typical cracking, everything seems tight. Tensioner? Squeeling gets louder and goes away quicker if you Rev up engine!

Thanks Again,
Derek

Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwreckn
First of all, Hello everyone, new here, had my stratus for 2 years, also have a 2000 Durango.

My problem is: my oil light has flickered a couple times on the stratus while I have been at idle in a drive thru. I've never seen it any other time, oil changed 2k miles ago with mobil super high mileage. Oil is Full on stick. Could it be the oil pump? Any other ideas or suggestions? It is a 2.7 v6 with 104,000 miles. I also have a squeeling noise from the belt that will do it mostly when it is cold but sometimes when warm also. Power steering full, belt has typical cracking, everything seems tight. Tensioner? Squeeling gets louder and goes away quicker if you Rev up engine!

Thanks Again,
Derek
You OP is probably fine. We have had trouble with the sending unit wire and/or the sending unit itself. Can't see the belt so can't tell ya much. Spray some water on it while it's running with a spray bottle see if it goes away.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-04-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Dwreckn

Thanks, I have sprayed belt dressing on the belt and it still makes noise and squeels like the belt is gonna blow. I may just change out the belt and possibly the tensioner pulley.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:36 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwreckn
Thanks, I have sprayed belt dressing on the belt and it still makes noise and squeels like the belt is gonna blow. I may just change out the belt and possibly the tensioner pulley.
Belt dressing = bad news for serpentine belts.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Dwreckn

Changed out the Belt, old one was cracked terribly. Found out that the car has a manual Tensioner pulley instead of spring loaded, which was interesting. No squeeking yet.....Yea!! belt dressing just quiets them for a few seconds. Thanks for the info TNtech.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:23 PM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks

I had the same problem with the oil light in my Sebring 2.5L V-6, 130k, I changed the oil pressure switch (found near the oil filter) the problem persisted for about 50 miles after the change but its now been 4k miles later and not a blink out of it.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I would also put a pressure gauge in place of the pressure switch and see how low the pressure falls. If it around 2-3 psi, replace the oil pump. If it stays above 6 -7 psi then replace the pressure switch.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:56 PM
KS-GLOCK

Originally Posted by master tech
I would also put a pressure gauge in place of the pressure switch and see how low the pressure falls. If it around 2-3 psi, replace the oil pump. If it stays above 6 -7 psi then replace the pressure switch.

I'm having the same problem with my car. Could you explain the gauge type to me? Is it just a plug and play type deal or what? I don't think I know where the sending unit is even located? I just want to make sure my car is hurting. If the pressure is low, what does it take to replace the oil pump? I imagine a lot of work. Thanks for the help!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Dwreckn

So lets revisit this. I had car at the shop and replaced the Oil Sending Unit twice. Not sure if they did pressure test, I would hope they did. I will have to check with them. If not do you think its the oil pump? I was told on these engines that fram filters should not be used either, is that true? It is happening at low idles after engine is hot from driving across town. I will see if I can get some answers.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Dwreckn

Well There is plenty of pressure, sending unit not leaking. So they went to the TSB's and did this.......

NUMBER: 08-36-99

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: Oct. 15, 1999

SUBJECT:
Engine Oil Pressure Light Flicker

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves adding a terminal/wire/vent to the oil pressure switch connector.

MODELS:
1998 - 1999 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid

NOTE:
THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.7L ENGINE.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
With a hot engine the oil pressure light may be on or flicker on at idle.

DIAGNOSIS:
Verify engine oil pressure as described on page 9-21 of the 1999 Concorde/Intre [...]

Hopefully this fixes the Problem. My Shop is awesome. No charge for anything! Just put a wire in dummy plug!

Quick Reply: Oil light on 2004 Stratus 2.7