Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Upper ball joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upper ball joint replacement

I need to replace my front upper ball joint on the driver side. (Had to get the CV axel out, nut seized on the threads so I just cut it off) Do those things just press out or do I have to buy a new control arm with it already installed?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:16 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

DESCRIPTION
The ball joint is pressed into the upper control arm and has a tapered stud for attachment to the steering knuckle. The ball joint stud is attached and locked into the steering knuckle using a special nut. The ball joint is a sealed-for-life type and requires no maintenance. If the ball joint is defective it will require replacement of the entire upper control arm.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:47 AM
thauncle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so why do they sell a upper ball joint then? im in the middle of this job and.got the upper ball joint out.but can't get the new ball joint pressed in.can i take a rubber mallet and bang it in or must i buy a new control arm bar?

Old 05-27-2013, 09:18 AM
BillS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those are aftermarket parts ,dodge doesn't recommend replacing joint seperately . try using search for "stratus ball joint " several posts might help. if you do control arm that is a major job the way dodge fastened them(bolts are backwards head hits the spring when you try and remove) you have to take strut out of car ,take strut apart which is EXTREMELY difficult with a clamp-on spring compressor(hydraulic compressor easier) to get to bolts, or the way i did it , get replacement bolts and nuts, loosen bolts use a pair of needle nose pliers to hold in place then cut the head of bolt off(spring won't let you pull bolt out) with a hacksaw blade, replace control arm install bolts so nut is on inside and tighten,ran mine for 2+ years (traded it) with bolts backwards without a problem

Quick Reply: Upper ball joint replacement