Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

need a confirmation

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 05:48 PM
crysto25
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a confirmation

hey guys i have an 05 2.7 4door and ive been having coolant leak issues. and theres a peep hole just by or on the block on passenger side and im wondering if u guys can confirm that, that is a water pump drain? ive been leaking coolant from there and i just called the dealer n checked out much the water pump with a gasket was. he said "$140+" to me thats a bit overpriced. so i looked through ebay and they have them for $45+. so should i buy it from ebay or dealers? just wondering about the diffference in quality because of their price range.

thanks

Old 05-04-2011, 12:43 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes that is for the water pump. But before you start taking the water pump out. Did you know the timing chain and guides need to be removed to replace the water pump? Has far as the price on the water pump, have you checked autozone or napa ?

Old 05-04-2011, 03:10 PM
crysto25

Originally Posted by master tech
Yes that is for the water pump. But before you start taking the water pump out. Did you know the timing chain and guides need to be removed to replace the water pump? Has far as the price on the water pump, have you checked autozone or napa ?
yea i was talkin about the timing chain at work with my co worker. would that be difficult to remove? and i just search napa and autozone and they are made by duralast and Tue Flow Water Pumps by napa. duralast comes with a gasket, napa has NO GASKET REQUIRED "The 1-Piece Bearing Assy Has Factory Sealed Bearings That Are Computer Matched For Low Friction" . can u help me choose which one would works best? im planning to do maintenance myself coz if i dropped it off to midas, they wont believe me that i am leaking from my waterpump drain hole. top of that, they dont even know that thing exist and last time i went there they told me and asked if to plug up that drain hole.. i said "no, thats there for a reason".

Old 05-04-2011, 05:16 PM
BillS
Captain

the labor is 6.7 book hours,got to take off intake manifold, valve covers ,power steering pump, both cam and crankshaft sprockets etc just to give you an idea what involved . how much coolant is coming out of hole "NOTE: It is normal for the water pump to weep a small amount of coolant from the primary weep hole (black stain at weep passage). Do not replace the water pump if this condition exists. Replace the water pump if a heavy deposit or a steady flow of engine coolant is evident from the primary weep passage and . This indicates a shaft seal failure and pump must be replaced. Coolant may leak from the secondary weep passage and fill the valley of the engine . If this condition is found, clean the primary weep passage of debris. Be sure to perform a thorough analysis before replacing water pump."

Old 05-05-2011, 12:03 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

If you asking what parts to use. I will always use Mopar.

Quick Reply: need a confirmation