Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stumbling/stalling while breaking, 99 ES 2.5L

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:49 PM
tubazeppelin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumbling/stalling while breaking, 99 ES 2.5L

Hey guys,

Just replaced the EGR valve on my 99 ES 2.5L because of cylinder misfires and all the sudden I got a new problem: she stumbles really heavy when I'm in stop-and-go or heavy-stopping situations, sometimes she stalls out. Replaced the PCV and it improved a little (no more stalling) but still the idle will drop to around 200 at times if I have to stop suddenly.

Thought it might be an intake manifold gasket so I did that. All the vacuum connections looked OK but I'm still only pulling about 18 inches...is that too low? My Haynes manual says between 17 and 22 is normal but my old man says 18 is flirting with a major vacuum leak.

Based on all my other symptoms I'm thinking it might be my TPS (IAC and brake booster checks were good) even though it seems to check out ok on the ohmmeter...

On the bright side the cylinder misfires seem to have stopped, but could my TPS really have gone bad while I was replacing the EGR valve? Seems odd to me...

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Old 05-13-2011, 09:25 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah 18 is fine. Even if your IAC checks out there can still be crap in the throttle bore and the IAC bore messing with your curb idle vacuum flow. How exactly did you test the functionality of your IAC? You also need to check your EGR tube and see if it's clogged up. Did this EGR valve come with a new vacuum actuator?

Are you getting any codes at all?

Last edited by TNtech; 05-13-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Stumbling/stalling while breaking, 99 ES 2.5L