Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 2.4L no spark, no start, new owner. Please help!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 PM
eotinsmith
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 2.4L no spark, no start, new owner. Please help!

In an attempt to get into a vehicle inexpensively I purchased a non running 202K mile 1 owner 2000 Dodge Stratus that the owner thought had a faulty fuel pump and had been sitting for about a year. Had no fuel at schraeder valve although fuel pump was operating. Dropped tank and saw that it had original filter so replaced it. We now have approx. 50 psi while cranking. Sounds like it fires occasionally when we spray starting fluid in throtle body but never succeeds in starting and we see no indication of spark when this happens with our spark tester. Tested the tester on another vehicle and works fine. Emits some gray stinky smoke from tail pipe. Removed top of timing chain cover and belt turns while cranking engine so doesn't appear broke. Battery seems fine. Holds good charge. Fresh fuel. One cylinder wire was immersed in oil which I am told is probably a valve cover gasket leak. Fuses look fine. Just no spark while cranking on the Stratus. Spark plugs don't seem to be wet as I would suspect if fuel was getting in the cylinder but not firing. Sorry for the length of this but trying to list everything we tried. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:03 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Have you check the wire harness going to the crank sensor? Or the sensor.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:45 AM
eotinsmith

Thanks for the reply. No we haven't. Can you give me a hint as to what to look for and how to check?

Old 06-23-2011, 03:31 PM
eotinsmith

Update - Still waiting on response. Don't know how to check crank sensor. I did check injectors and it appears they are firing using a simple light tester. Approx. 11 volts to each of 3 wires to coil pack during cranking, none with key off.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:44 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The crank sensor is above the oil filter and just below of the alt.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:02 PM
eotinsmith

Thanks for your help! We found step by step diagnostics here http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ and after repair of the wiring harness and replacement of the crankshaft sensor, it started. The step by step diagnosis on the above website is by far the best I can imagine but thanks to master tech for directing me where to look. Until the next failure, have a great summer!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 2.4L no spark, no start, new owner. Please help!