Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Sputter during accleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:46 PM
jubfly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputter during accleration

Just installed new timming belt lined up the timming marks as illastrated. car starts up perfect runs great but sputters above 2000 rpm. could be spark plugs wires or fuel problem. psi on fuel rail is 61 psi. anybody have any suggestions which direction I should go?? this is on a stratus 2003 2.4 DOHC

Just installed new spark plug wires and I'm able to go to 2500 rpms befour it starts to sputter. a noticeable difference, It almost feels like the transmission won't allow it to accelrate. I can go to 70 at a graduel rate of speed but it won't allow me to stomp on it. The car was down for a month.

Last edited by jubfly; 07-06-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:41 AM
jubfly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sputters after installing timming belt

Ok boys and girls since I got no replys I'll ansure my own question. I finly broke down and went to the dealer to dignose the car. They said the cams were out of time. I pretty much figured that one out but I had to make sure their was no other problems. So ok back to the drawing board. no matter how many trys and combinations I ran to install this timming belt I was forever going to be a half a tooth off. With half a tooth off the car stars up perfect and runs, but sputters on accelration. So installing the belt for the 40th dam time I started to play around with the crank shaft markings. Turns out the books procedur is a bit off. It says to aline the crank shaft markings on the lower timming belt sproket with the arrow marking on the lower front case of the engine block also with the tooth of the crank shaft sprocket. Then aline the duel over head cam sprockets. Not going to happen it turns out that if you move off the mark on the bottom just a bit, like a half a tooth, maybe a few centermeters the cams can then line up perfectly and thats the critical point, the cams have to be perfictly aline!! Car runs great
I'm done.

Last edited by jubfly; 07-06-2011 at 01:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Sputter during accleration