Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

turns over but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 PM
vegastech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turns over but will not start

Please help:
I got a 2000 dodge stratus with a 2.4l engine. The car was running fine the day before. When I go to start the car, it turns over but the engine will not start. I checked all the spark plugs, for spark, and they are getting a spark. I checked the relief valve for the fuel injectors, and there is fuel getting to the fuel injectors. I even took the fuel injectors out and turned it over while they were out of the engine, and I can see there is gas coming out.
Here is where it gets weird, when I was playing around with the fuel lines, I tried to start it and it did start. I let it run for a while and it ran fine and idled good. But when I turned it off and tried to turn back on it did the same thing, just turns over but will not start, and one time I took the PCV out and I put my finger over the intake manifold, part where the pvc tube was supposed to go, and the car started. So I got a new PVC and all the tubing that goes with it. After all that when I tried to start the car the same thing, turns over but will not start.
I check the compression and that was good.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:29 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I would check fuel pressure and fuel flow from the fuel line going into the fuel rail. Also try some starter fluid in the throttle body and start. I think you have fuel problem if you have good spark and compression.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:03 AM
vegastech

Thanks I will check that tomorrow.
Do you think the cam sensor or the crankshaft sensor can cause anything like that?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:25 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Do you have a check engine light on?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:36 AM
vegastech

I didn't even notice if it was on when the car turned on.
but will it come on when I am trying to start it.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:37 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vegastech
Thanks I will check that tomorrow.
Do you think the cam sensor or the crankshaft sensor can cause anything like that?
yes, and doesnt seem to be ur case, since u have fuel and spark. Check for code always help
When u hook up a scanner, does it show engine RPM while cranking? If you have enhanced scanner, does Cam and Crank in sync on the data? and check TPS data too.

spraying starting fluid or brake cleaner will help identify lack of fuel problem.

when u crank for the first few second, does the car shows any "want to start" condition? what about crank it while steping on the gas?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:45 AM
vegastech

when i crank the engine for first few seconds, no nothing happens. all I get is just the engine turns over, doesn't even sound like it's going to start.
when I give it gas, it seems like it wants to start, but it doesn't.
But yeh that is a good idea, about the starter fluid, I will give that a try.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 AM
vegastech

Here is what I found out today.
Started out , sprayed some brake cleaner in the intake when my son turned the car on, and it started, and stayed on. So I thought it was the fuel pump. I started the car 5 times after that (without the brake cleaner) and the car started, then on the 6th time it did the same thing. (just wanted to say the check engine light is not coming on)
I started with the electrical, check voltage while the car was off, it was around 11.77 DC, so I charged the battery and turned the car on, and it started. I did that 2 more times then it would not start. (did the same thing turns over but will not start)
So I go and trade my battery in for a new one. After the battery install, it turned on again, but what I noticed this time the engine was missfiring, for about 15 seconds then you can hear the engine run good. I hooked up my timing light to on the spaek plug wires, one by one. I found out the #1 and 3 cylinder was good, #2 and 4 looked like it was getting too much spark. I don't know what could cause that?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:25 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Do you know someone with a DRB3 and this way you can check to see if the cam and crank are in sync or out of sync?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:30 AM
vegastech

no I don't know anybody with that tool. Do you think the dealership would check it out? and if so how much do you think it would cost?

Quick Reply: turns over but will not start