Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Turn Signal Switch Replacement issue...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 07:04 PM
handofreason
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Switch Replacement issue...

I have a 2001 Dodge Stratus SE and I'm having a strange problem:

The turn signal switch broke off so I ordered a replacement part from a local Autozone here. However, when I got this part, the first thing I noticed was there was a hazard signal switch on the top of the assembly. This didn't make sense because my hazard signal switch is located high above the stereo, located nowhere near or on the steering wheel. I returned it and they didn't have any other part available. All the Dodge dealerships around here are backordered, so I had to order online.

When I was browsing, I saw that there were two kinds: one with fog lights, and one without. (My Stratus does NOT have fog lights) On the particular website, they showed pictures of both, and the one without fog lights appeared to not have the hazard switch on it. So I naturally thought, "Oh! The other part must have been the one with fog lights, I guess those Dodges have the hazard switch on top. I'll order this." When the part finally came, the switch definitely did not have fog light functionality, but it had the same damn hazard light switch. In all probability, it was the same exact part I returned to the Autozone.

So I decided to take apart the steering wheel and see what the original part looks like, and it looks entirely different. The screw holes are different, and the entire assembly slides over the column, not placed on top. There is no hazard light switch on it (as expected). I did an expanded search online and every single parts place shows the assembly that Autozone sold me with the hazard switch on top. It appears that according to every parts database that I can find, the Autozone part is the replacement part for a 2001 Dodge Stratus.

So now I'm stuck. This part is NOT the right part for my car. However, everywhere else I go to order a replacement part says that it is. If needed, I'll post pictures but for right now, I can only give reference images online:

Here is the part I ordered (from online and Autozone and everywhere else):

and like I said, I can't find my part anywhere, but it looks something more like this:

The only conclusion I can make with my limited knowledge on these things is that something happened with this car and they completely replaced the entire thing with different parts, or something. I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on it, or maybe I'm supposed to take something apart or something. I don't know. If you would like specific pictures, let me know. I'm not in front of the part right now but I'll be home soon.

Thank you for any consideration and any help you can give.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:03 PM
BillS
Captain

what size engine do you have , looks like top switch goes to a 2.4 or 2.7 liter engine,if you have 3.0 liter its seperate switches autozone carries them(check part #sw3101) almost twice the price

Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by BillS
what size engine do you have , looks like top switch goes to a 2.4 or 2.7 liter engine,if you have 3.0 liter its seperate switches autozone carries them(check part #sw3101) almost twice the price
that actually looks like the switch from the 95-00 (I actually have a spare one lying around). With the 01+, you NEED to specifiy if you have a coupe or sedan, not just the engine size. Since your switch is in the center, I'm going to say you have a coupe, and that the switch is either the wrong generation, or wrong body type. (fyi: Coupe is a Mitsubishi Eclipse, sedan is a Dodge Stratus, 99% different only sharing the name and basic styling).

Old 01-23-2016, 05:20 PM
Denise Fanning
Default Denise

Originally Posted by handofreason
I have a 2001 Dodge Stratus SE and I'm having a strange problem:

The turn signal switch broke off so I ordered a replacement part from a local Autozone here. However, when I got this part, the first thing I noticed was there was a hazard signal switch on the top of the assembly. This didn't make sense because my hazard signal switch is located high above the stereo, located nowhere near or on the steering wheel. I returned it and they didn't have any other part available. All the Dodge dealerships around here are backordered, so I had to order online.

When I was browsing, I saw that there were two kinds: one with fog lights, and one without. (My Stratus does NOT have fog lights) On the particular website, they showed pictures of both, and the one without fog lights appeared to not have the hazard switch on it. So I naturally thought, "Oh! The other part must have been the one with fog lights, I guess those Dodges have the hazard switch on top. I'll order this." When the part finally came, the switch definitely did not have fog light functionality, but it had the same damn hazard light switch. In all probability, it was the same exact part I returned to the Autozone.

So I decided to take apart the steering wheel and see what the original part looks like, and it looks entirely different. The screw holes are different, and the entire assembly slides over the column, not placed on top. There is no hazard light switch on it (as expected). I did an expanded search online and every single parts place shows the assembly that Autozone sold me with the hazard switch on top. It appears that according to every parts database that I can find, the Autozone part is the replacement part for a 2001 Dodge Stratus.

So now I'm stuck. This part is NOT the right part for my car. However, everywhere else I go to order a replacement part says that it is. If needed, I'll post pictures but for right now, I can only give reference images online:

Here is the part I ordered (from online and Autozone and everywhere else):

and like I said, I can't find my part anywhere, but it looks something more like this:

The only conclusion I can make with my limited knowledge on these things is that something happened with this car and they completely replaced the entire thing with different parts, or something. I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on it, or maybe I'm supposed to take something apart or something. I don't know. If you would like specific pictures, let me know. I'm not in front of the part right now but I'll be home soon.

Thank you for any consideration and any help you can give.
I found replacement swith at O'Reillys

Last edited by Denise Fanning; 01-23-2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: problem solved

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Switch Replacement issue...