Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System
Print Wikipost

radiator removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:19 PM
gsimms
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy radiator removal

I am in the process of removing a radiator from my 2003 Stratus. I have removed the cross beam, disconnected the upper and lower hoses from the passenger side, disconnected the wiring harness from the fan assembly, and have the radiator ready to remove.
My hangup is the AC condenser assembly. I started to remove the AC condenser hoses attached on the driver side of the radiator, but my brain told me stop. I don't want to risk bending/breaking the steel lines. So, I am wondering what the best process moving forward would be.
I have to get this radiator out ASAP. Can anyone help me with some guidance on what I need to do from here on?

Old 11-12-2011, 12:50 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
REMOVAL
Disconnect negative cable from auxiliary jumper terminal.
WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE PRESSURE CAP OR ANY HOSE WITH THE SYSTEM HOT AND UNDER PRESSURE BECAUSE SERIOUS BURNS FROM COOLANT CAN OCCUR.

Drain cooling system.
Remove upper radiator crossmember (Cooling Module Mounting).
CAUTION: Plastic tanks, while stronger than brass are subject to damage by impact, such as wrenches.

Disconnect the radiator fan electrical connector.
Remove radiator fan.
Disconnect hoses from radiator.
Remove screw that holds support bracket for transmission cooler tubes at left side of radiator (if equipped).
CAUTION: Avoid bending the condenser inlet tube. Care should be taken not to damage radiator or condenser cooling fins.

Remove the air conditioning condenser attaching screws located at the front of the radiator (A/C CONDENSER MOUNTING). Disengage AC condenser from radiator. It is not necessary to discharge the air conditioning system to remove radiator.
Radiator can now be lifted free from engine compartment. Care should be taken not to damage radiator or condenser cooling fins during removal.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:40 PM
gsimms
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!!! Got the radiator out in minutes. I just got my car out of the shop to have a tied rod replaced that snapped and had asked the guys at the shop to check and, if broken, fix the radiator tank on the driver side. They sent my wife home from the shop on a busted radiator. I was and still am furious about the negligence. So, I decided to do the rest of the work myself.

Your instructions worked like a charm. I am grateful. Now, I have to get the radiator tank replaced, which I am going to have to get a repair shop to do, I suppose. It's either that or buy a whole new radiator.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: radiator removal