Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2003 stratus ac/heat control Q'S...

Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 PM
metalhdmatt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 stratus ac/heat control Q'S...

fan only works on speed #4, ac works when its wants too... mostly not wanting too, had it checked, its charged and compressor is good, changed controls... im thinking this could be a relay or some kind of fuse or switch gone bad, thing is i have no manual to check anything, can anyone help me pls? thanks!!!

Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM
BillS
Captain

sounds like blower motor resistor is bad,high speed(#4) doesn't use the resistor theres also a technical service bulletin about modifying the opening because it oveheats on 2000-2004's, if you want you can send me a pm with an email, i'll send you a copy of it this evening. the A/C working when it wants to, could need recalibrating,with car off try pulling out fuse #5 from inside fuse box for 10 minutes,reinstall fuse start car let idle for 5 minutes then check controls

Old 04-27-2012, 04:42 PM
metalhdmatt

cool, thanks! ill pull that fuse later and see how it goes, ill let ya know what happens, ill also send you my email for the other thing

Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 AM
BillS
Captain

heres the bulletin trying to send you my email still down think i got how to send pictures figured out

NUMBER: 24-001-05
GROUP: Heating & A/C
DATE: February 1, 2005
THIS BULLETIN IS BEING PROVIDED IN ADVANCE. DO NOT ORDER PARTS OR PERFORM ANY ACTIONS RELATED TO THIS BULLETIN UNTIL FEBRUARY 14, 2005.
SUBJECT:
Blower Motor Does Not Run On Every Speed
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves modifying the HVAC housing and installing a revised blower motor resistor.
MODELS:
2000 - 2004 (JR) Sebring Convertible/Sebring Sedan/Stratus Sedan
NOTE :MODEL YEAR WAS UPDATED FROM 2001-2004 RANGE TO 2000-2004 RANGE PER UPDATE FROM CHRYSLER WEBSITE.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The blower motor does not run on every speed because the blower motor resistor has failed.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the vehicle operator describes the above Symptom, perform the Repair Procedure

PARTS REQUIRED:

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
WARNING :On vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury or death.
WARNING :The blower motor resistor may get very hot during normal operation. If the blower motor was turned on prior to servicing the blower motor resistor, wait five minutes to allow the resistor to cool before performing diagnosis or service. Failure to take this precaution can result in personal injury.
1.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
2.Remove the silencer panel from right side of the instrument panel (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/RIGHT IP SILENCER PANEL - REMOVAL).

3.Disconnect the wire harness connector from the blower motor resistor (Fig. 1).
4.Remove the two screws that secure the blower motor resistor to the HVAC housing and remove the resistor.

5.Use a hot knife or similar tool to the enlarge the blower resistor opening in the HVAC housing so that the opening matches the inside edge of raised rib around the opening, (Fig. 2).
NOTE :Remove any/all debris from the HVAC housing.
6.Position the blower motor resistor into the bottom of the HVAC housing.
7.Install the two screws that secure the blower motor resistor to the HVAC housing. Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (17 in.lbs.).
8.Connect the wire harness connector to the blower motor resistor.
9.Install the silencer panel to the right side of the instrument panel (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/RIGHT IP SILENCER PANEL - INSTALLATION).
10.Reconnect the negative battery cable.
11.Set the clock to the correct time.

Last edited by BillS; 06-10-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:53 AM
metalhdmatt

sweet! ill have to try all this next week, goin out of town this weekend, do you know anything about the rev limiter kicking in around 2500 rpm and to reset it, turn the car off, mess with the gas cap and start car back up then its ok.. lol i changed the gas cap but it problly has nothing to do with this in first place, it happens when it wants to as well??

Old 04-28-2012, 06:38 PM
BillS
Captain

does engine light come on when it happens, if so have you had codes read ,it could possibly be filler neck tube or hose to tank is bad or loose ,when you mess with cap it moves neck or hose enough to work properly,until it jiggles loose again .or it could be something entirely different

Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 PM
metalhdmatt

ok bills, i opened the fuse/relay center cover to find that fuse #5 is not in there and apparently has never been in... this problem started after years of driving so it cant be that... is it possibly another fuse #? or anything else you might be able to help me with?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 PM
BillS
Captain

do you have a sedan or coupe ,are you looking at fuse panel inside drivers door,should be a cover on fuse 5 that has to come out or you could try unhooking battery for 10 minutes

Old 05-06-2012, 12:00 PM
metalhdmatt

thats what i ended up doing, unhooking the battery and it worked! thanks for the help bro

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 stratus ac/heat control Q'S...