Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

car cranks but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:38 PM
valentriad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car cranks but will not start

I have a 2002 dodge stratus r/t with the 3.0l engine. This problem has me stumped. I apologize if the post is lengthy, i just want to give you all a good idea of the problem.

The other day the car would not crank, the starter would just click once. I replaced the starter and now it is cranking healthy, but it will not fire. When turning the key to the on position, i can not hear the fuel pump prime. I checked the voltage at the fuel pump harness, it is getting 5-6volts. According to my owners manual there isnt a specific 'fuel pump relay' so i checked the ones for engine control and ignition system. The only place i know to find fuses, is the fuse box under the hood and by the steering wheel. I check ALL fuses, none were blown. I bought new relays and tried swapping them, still doesnt work.

It will fire with starting fluid, so i know i'm getting spark.

I do not think it is the sending unit, i bought a new one, and hooked it up without actually installing in the tank, just to see if it would respond in any way, and it did not.

The check engine light threw p0183 code (fuel temperature sensor circuit A high) In my research there is no fuel temp sensor?

Hopefully you guys can lend some advice, thanks in advance!

Old 01-31-2017, 01:25 AM
dwh

what did you ever find out with this problem???

Old 02-16-2017, 07:51 PM
jack_null
Amateur
Default Classic

I've been through your exact situation more times then I care to remember.

Since starter fluid is working, but won't remain on, your engine is deprived of fuel.
If you can't hear the fuel pump priming.... then really, that narrows it down to 3 possibilities:

1. Fuel Pump completely died. It's happened to me twice.

2. The relay is toast. Idk how your Stratus couldn't have a fuel pump relay... it has to. To protect it from power surges. Find it, apply 12 volts to the proper prongs, measure resistance.

3. If the above fail, take the multimeter and put the prongs into the relay slot. Test for continuity. If the relay slot is okay, move to your fuse box, test the slots. There must be a short or an open somewhere.

I mean... there is a faster way to see if the relay is toast.. But don't try this if you aren't familiar with relay diagrams. Simply take a wire (cut a USB cable in half or whatever), pull out the relay, and look at the diagram on the relay. Find the two prongs responsible for completing the circuit once the relay is energized (usually 30 and 87). Shove the USB cable into those two slots, and congrats. You've bypassed a relay.

Quick Reply: car cranks but will not start