Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Why could my heater resister in my car keep blowing out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Trypaw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why could my heater resister in my car keep blowing out?

Hello,
I have a 1998 dodge stratus 2.4 engine, and 2 weeks ago the blower motor resister went out, so I replaced it. Then 6 day later it blew again, hoping it was just a dud, I went out and got another one. Ten days later it went out again (yesterday evening). I had my blower motor tested before the 2nd one went out about a week ago, and it tested at 12 something.. I can’t quite remember what, but my mechanic said it was a little low for my blower motor but it was within range and it “should” be fine. I’m now stuck wondering what to do? The blower motor in my car isn’t the easiest one to replace, and I’m not even sure that’s where the problem lies. If it is not the blower motor any other ideas on why my car keeps blowing my heater resisters? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 04-06-2013, 03:48 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by Trypaw
Hello,
I have a 1998 dodge stratus 2.4 engine, and 2 weeks ago the blower motor resister went out, so I replaced it. Then 6 day later it blew again, hoping it was just a dud, I went out and got another one. Ten days later it went out again (yesterday evening). I had my blower motor tested before the 2nd one went out about a week ago, and it tested at 12 something.. I can’t quite remember what, but my mechanic said it was a little low for my blower motor but it was within range and it “should” be fine. I’m now stuck wondering what to do? The blower motor in my car isn’t the easiest one to replace, and I’m not even sure that’s where the problem lies. If it is not the blower motor any other ideas on why my car keeps blowing my heater resisters? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Not sure what "12 something" is, but if it's "a little low", it could be putting a much higher load on the resistor than it can handle. "should be fine" in this case, isn't fine...

Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Ian Campbell

I had my 2003 t&c do the same thing and finally changed the blower motor and if solved the problem. The parts store was getting tired of me exchanging the resistor pack.

Quick Reply: Why could my heater resister in my car keep blowing out?