Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stratus dies

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 11:36 AM
kc0pxy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stratus dies

What could be the problem?
Pulled out of work, all is good.
Died in the intersection.
Put it in park, turned the ignition and started right up again, drove off.
Got to the turn on the road and dies again.
Pulled over to start, went to take off, does instantly again.
Put in neutral, started again, then eased it into drive and took off.
Drove fine all the way to my road.
Coasted to road and once the car hit 30mph, the lights dimmed and dash lights flickered (battery and srs)
Held a slight pressure on the throttle and it stayed running the rest of the way up the road (1/4 mile)
Started turning into driveway and died again, then repeated putting the car in neutral and eased into drive to make it to safe spot to park for the night.
Initial goal was to make it to garage, but failed as it would not stay running long enough to move again. Next morning it fired up and I drove it in the garage just fine. Any Suggestions? It was below 0 last night. I am thinking of something in the fuel system.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:37 PM
BillS
Captain

what size engine ,coupe or sedan? is check engine light on ?could be several things fuel problem, vacuum leak ,timing jumped ,clogged exhaust

Old 12-27-2013, 12:35 PM
microswitch

I would check the alternator. I have a 2005 XST Car would die, rest a bit then start again. No battery warning light. This went on for few days then the battery warning light would flicker and then would go away.
Took alternator off went to auto zone and after testing it was deemed bad.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:38 PM
ModernDayCaesar
Rookie

Alternatively, check the connections. I just recently experienced the same problems and it turned out to be a bad connection. At the top of the distribution terminal right next to the fuse box in the engine compartment. Take all (there is only 6) of your connections apart and look for rust, if found.. remove with a dremel sanding attachment or a wire brush.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:56 AM
ndtguy
Rookie

If it dies every time you take your foot off the gas, it might be an Oxygen (O2) sensor. Remove the one between the head and the cat. Hold it next to your ear and shake it. If it rattles, its done. You will need a new O2 sensor.

Your situation sounds just like a friend of mine and that is what was wrong with her car.

Quick Reply: Stratus dies