Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Engine stuttering or hesitating when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Jamesian66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stuttering or hesitating when accelerating

I have a 2003 Dodge Stratus SE with the 2.4L, 4 cylinder, DOHC engine. Yesterday I was driving normally and I went to accelerate from making a turn and when it got to about 2000 rpms the engine just started stuttering and wouldn't shift into the next gear. I let off the gas a little bit and it finally shifted. This is the problem I have been having now. When you accelerate moderately off of a complete stop the car has a lot of trouble shifting over and it only will do so if you press the gas in slightly. I scanned the car and it came up with a P0340 code which is the camshaft position sensor failure, so I tried replacing it and nothing changed from doing so. I am wondering if it is maybe a wiring failure or something else. If anyone else has had this problem or knows what I can do to fix it it would be appreciated.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:19 PM
PandaROFL

I had a very similar issue with my 03 Stratus SXT 2.4L. Same code too, and a misfire code. I would stall out if I tried to accelerate too quick, and it would sputter like all hell, usually forcing me to pull over and turn my car on and off. I replaced the camshaft position sensor, the ignition coil, and changed the spark plug wires + the spark plugs (for good measure). That fixed my issue.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Hugo Camba

​​​​​when you replaced the spark plug wires and spark plugs and camshaft position sensor. How much did it all add up to?
im having the same issues.

Quick Reply: Engine stuttering or hesitating when accelerating