Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

02 Stratus 2.7L Rear Strut question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 PM
blobula
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Stratus 2.7L Rear Strut question

Hello,

So the right rear strut on my vehicle started making a thumping noise recently, in addition to some scraping around the rotor.

I figured it was time to replace the rotors, pads, and struts in the back.

So sure enough the top mount for the strut was in shambles and disintegrated. I purchased a new strut and mount listed below.

Monroe strut

Strut Mounting Kit

I had a shop move the spring over to the new strut and install the new mount as well.

Question is, when I put the new strut in it seems way to long and doesn't line up with the mounting holes. I only have the car jacked up on the one rear side. Is this affecting the control arm from dropping all the way down? I also have the sway bar connected. Any suggestions?

Also the two bolts that connect the strut to the wheel hub from inside the trunk are shot. Can you get those from just a local Home Depot or something? Thank you!

Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The sway bar is keeping the control arm from dropping all the way.

Product Details Compatibility
Monroe Monro-Matic Plus - Strut
Part Number: 801311
Line: MON
Limited Lifetime Warranty
UPC: 48598060921
Rear
Sedan
Extended Length (In): 20-7/16 Inch
Compressed Length (In): 13-3/8 Inch
Travel Length (In): 7-1/32 Inch
Detailed Description
Monro-Matic Plus(R) struts are nitrogen gas charged and feature velocity sensitive valving and all weather fluid, which offers passenger cars improved comfort at an economical price.

Additional Details
Body Length (In): 12-7/8 Inch
Boot Included: No
Extended Bumper Stop Included: Yes
Adjustable: No
Cylinder Included: No
Dampening Type: Fluid
Strut Design: Twintube

This should be the strut you got. If not they probably gave you the wrong one.
I would suggest taking it back anyway in trade for KYB struts.
Another good suggestion is to get the other side. Doing just one can be dangerous as it throws off the balance of the car.

As far as the bolts
are these what your describing? These should be what goes into the trunk.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:55 AM
BillS
Captain

the strut is 1/2 inch or so to long it needs to be lifted on to bottom mount, use a strong screw driver or pry bar from backside place end of bar on mount and lift bottom of strut up ,tap strut carefully on to mount continue lifting while you put bolt in ,its a pain in the butt first couple times, sway bar shouldn't make a difference ,the short stabilizer bar (or whatever you want to call them has several names) needs to be pushed down to get bolt in ,not sure which bolts your talking about

Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by BillS
the strut is 1/2 inch or so to long it needs to be lifted on to bottom mount, use a strong screw driver or pry bar from backside place end of bar on mount and lift bottom of strut up ,tap strut carefully on to mount continue lifting while you put bolt in ,its a pain in the butt first couple times, sway bar shouldn't make a difference ,the short stabilizer bar (or whatever you want to call them has several names) needs to be pushed down to get bolt in ,not sure which bolts your talking about
I'm guessing he has the wrong struts judging by him asking about the bolts in the trunk. There are no bolts in the trunk, just the 2 nuts that go on the strut mount in the trunk.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:02 AM
blobula
Amateur

I jacked up the other side of the car today and then took a large metal pry bar and pushed down and was able to easily put the strut in place and get it fastened. The strut was definitely the right one.

I misspoke as well and was referring to the two nuts inside the trunk. I was able to find replacements easily at the auto parts store.

Thank you!

Old 08-01-2014, 10:02 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by blobula
I jacked up the other side of the car today and then took a large metal pry bar and pushed down and was able to easily put the strut in place and get it fastened. The strut was definitely the right one.

I misspoke as well and was referring to the two nuts inside the trunk. I was able to find replacements easily at the auto parts store.

Thank you!
Good to hear.

Quick Reply: 02 Stratus 2.7L Rear Strut question