Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Overheated Stratus

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Reno775
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheated Stratus

Hi all - new to this but here is goes- I have a 2002 Stratus 2.7 L - and I made a big mistake- I left the coolant cap slightly loosened and drove the car cross town- on the way back I noticed temp gauge way up and pulled off road just as the warning light clicked on. So I had it towed home. Coolant had escaped as I was driving if not emptied close to it. The next morning I refilled system and restarted car- I have a leak ( constant dripping ) near the front of engine-can't really tell where - but only occurs when car is running - the moment I turn car off stops leaking- sooooo- I will be taking to repair shop next week but would like to know if anyone can speculate as to whether I may have a warped head- cracked block - water pump issue. Car still starts fine idles fine and does not smoke- nor does it appear any coolant is in the engine oil- again after the tow home and refill of system I may have only run the car for about 5 minutes max- Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions

Old 10-05-2014, 10:21 PM
oeblio

I overheated a 2.5. It took out the head gaskets, pressurizing the coolant.
It leaked around the water pump when running like yours.

I removed the heads and took them to a head shop. They were within spec but I had the valves done and planed the head. Car runs fine now.

Good luck with yours.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:17 PM
haywardstratus

The constant leak may be from the water pump weeping hole. It needs to be replaced.
I overheated my 2.7 multiple times while I was going through this and the engine was fine. PM me if you need more help.

Quick Reply: Overheated Stratus