Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Electronics Haywire

Old 10-13-2014, 12:26 PM
tammyjean
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronics Haywire

DODGE STRATUS 2 DOOR COUPE 4 cylinder

Pretty sure I did some serious damage when I sleepily jumped my battery with reverse polarity. After the fiasco the car started and ran for a few seconds then shut off permanently. The gauges went haywire. I did a test and got "no code". The car will not start but the lights, stereo, etc. work. Can someone tell me what's ruined and where to find the part (ecu?) in the car? This is a 2004 Dodge Stratus coupe with a 4 cylinder engine. The battery was not holding a charge so I tried to jump start it early in the morning.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by tammyjean; 10-14-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:53 AM
tammyjean

I added some necessary info that I left out in the original post.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:48 PM
BillS
Captain

i would start with easy stuff hopefully not ecu did you get battery charged or replaced check all the fuses see if any are blown, possibly swap out ASD relay with another relay,check wiring to starter, see if there's a fusible link that could have burned out ,not sure where the ecu is on a coupe on a sedan its on drivers side wheel well

Old 10-14-2014, 11:24 PM
tammyjean

Thanks for the reply billS. New battery, the starter cranks. I checked most of the fuses. I have not tried the relay swap. I will try that tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:40 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I forget if the ecu is under the driver side dash or under the dash dead center near the floor. I could be wrong, but i think the only damage when accidently reversing polarity would be to the battery.

You say it cranks but doesnt start. Is it a strong crank or weak? Common problem with these cars is the battery terminals. Make sure the terminals are nice and clean, they like to corrode.

Its also possible that the timing belt jumped. Youll have to pull the timing belt cover off, or do a compression test.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:20 PM
tammyjean
Smile

A late update:

I unplugged as many wires and devices as I could and plugged everything back in again. To my amazement, the car started and ran great!! .

All is well. Two days later the drive belt broke. Hopefully, an easy fix.

Thanks everyone for you attention and advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electronics Haywire