Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Low speed missing on 04 2.4l Stratus P0171 lean

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:23 PM
carlspeed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low speed missing on 04 2.4l Stratus P0171 lean

Guys, about a year and a half ago I acquired this 04 Stratus with a 2.4l in it. About a couple months ago, I finally got some time (not primary car) and did the timing belt and water pump on it. I got the car from a friend, as the teeth on the timing belt went bad where the crank pulley was at, which obviously caused the car to no longer run. Anyway, car has about 140k on it, and I purchased the kit online, and got to it. The job wasn't too horrible, but lining up the marks was kind of a challenge. I got it back together, and it fired right up. Seemed to be fine for about twenty minutes, but then it developed a miss. Like, at idle, you hit the gas, and it will hesitate. Then it kicks in. Seems to be only missing/hesitating when you hit the accelerator. It doesn't seem like it runs bad in upper RPM range, but definitely not at lower range. It vibrates, and just kind of runs rough. The only code it's throwing, which isn't even activating the CEL, is P0171, lean conditions. I tried an O2 sensor, new plugs and wires, and I don't know what to do next. I guess the first thing is to take the fuel tank out and drain it. Is there anyway to test the fuel pump/flow prior to doing that? I forgot to mention, but I also did the PCV valve and tube. Ironically, the replacement tube I got from the dealer isn't as long as the other one, and it's kind of stretched into place. At least it doesn't leak like the original one though. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I truly appreciate it!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:06 AM
carlspeed

Anyone? I could really use help on this. I don't know what to do next.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:01 PM
BillS
Captain

the most common cause is a vacuum leak,i would get some carburetor(throttle body) spray and check that 1st. here's a link that might helphttp://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0171-and-P0174

Old 12-10-2014, 03:25 PM
carlspeed

Thanks Bill. I should have mentioned it, but I tried that. Literally sprayed an entire can around the motor, and in various places of the intake. It just runs so rough. I can't figure it out.

I did read the bit about the MAF somewhere else, but I could never find it's location on the Stratus. Do you know of any way to test it?

Last edited by carlspeed; 12-10-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:54 AM
Rafael Kontreras
Default how did you solve it

Originally Posted by carlspeed
Guys, about a year and a half ago I acquired this 04 Stratus with a 2.4l in it. About a couple months ago, I finally got some time (not primary car) and did the timing belt and water pump on it. I got the car from a friend, as the teeth on the timing belt went bad where the crank pulley was at, which obviously caused the car to no longer run. Anyway, car has about 140k on it, and I purchased the kit online, and got to it. The job wasn't too horrible, but lining up the marks was kind of a challenge. I got it back together, and it fired right up. Seemed to be fine for about twenty minutes, but then it developed a miss. Like, at idle, you hit the gas, and it will hesitate. Then it kicks in. Seems to be only missing/hesitating when you hit the accelerator. It doesn't seem like it runs bad in upper RPM range, but definitely not at lower range. It vibrates, and just kind of runs rough. The only code it's throwing, which isn't even activating the CEL, is P0171, lean conditions. I tried an O2 sensor, new plugs and wires, and I don't know what to do next. I guess the first thing is to take the fuel tank out and drain it. Is there anyway to test the fuel pump/flow prior to doing that? I forgot to mention, but I also did the PCV valve and tube. Ironically, the replacement tube I got from the dealer isn't as long as the other one, and it's kind of stretched into place. At least it doesn't leak like the original one though. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I truly appreciate it!
Hi

I have the same issue. I've replaced both o2 sensors, map IAC and I at.
Could the time be off. It started after new timing belt.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:07 AM
carlspeed

In my case, it ended up just needing some tune up parts, new plugs and ignition coil.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:31 AM
jack_null
Amateur

Throttle body. Check to make sure the butterfly valve opens

Quick Reply: Low speed missing on 04 2.4l Stratus P0171 lean