Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2004 Dodge Stratus Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 12:09 AM
BGY1995
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Stratus Problems

Recently I have been having issues with my 2004 Dodge Stratus SXT Coupe 2.4L 153,000 miles.
It started a few weeks ago when randomly it wouldn't start after running fine, it would turn over but stall as soon as it started, I brought it to a garage where they said it was the fuel pump and replaced it. About a week later I had the same issue so I replaced the Camshaft position sensor and the air filter, I also thought to replace the fuel filter but found out it was inside the pump.Yesterday it just started running rough and when I start it makes a clunking noise then its fine. It also seems to be using a lot more gas than normal. My plan was to replace the crankshaft sensor next has anyone else had similar problems or have any ideas of what to try next? I live in Canada and the mechanics here don't seem to know anything about it since the car was never sold here and they've never seen one before its also difficult to get parts.
Thanks

Old 12-06-2014, 10:14 AM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You didnt mention, but i have to ask; Did the check engine light come on?

Its possible the fuel pump is a dud and isnt putting out the correct pressure. The fuel pressure is easily check with a gauge, so ill assume the mechanic did that. It could also be a bad fuel injector. If that ends up to be the problem I have a set of 4 for sale.

The symptoms sound like a bad coil pack, and that would mean a misfire on at least one if not two cylinders (One coil pack per two cylinders). It makes the car run rough and make knocking noises like you mentioned. My check engine light came on when mine did that though.

Even if the check engine light isnt on, id swing by an auto parts store that offers free OBD testing just in case the bulb is burnt out or something. No sense in just throwing parts at it.

If you werent aware, your car shares all mechanical parts with the same year Mitsubishi Eclipse RS and GS. Finding parts is easy.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:07 PM
BGY1995
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, The engine light came on right before we replaced the cam sensor and the OBD test said camshaft position error but after it was replaced the engine light went out and OBD test said no faults found

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Stratus Problems