Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stratus 2005 2.7L Overheating Problem

Old 01-03-2015, 01:58 PM
aldoaldo14
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stratus 2005 2.7L Overheating Problem

Hello, I have a problem with my Stratus, its the 2005 V6 MotoR 2.7L 24 valves Chrysler LH (USA imported model)

The problem started months ago when a piece that connect several hoses and it have the temperature sensor (coolant air bleeder?) broke, we replaced it for a new one and also changed the thermostat, however the car still overheated (the heat level didnt ascend from half so the fans didn't went on) and the cooling water from the deposit was bubbling, behind the spot where the deposit is, white smoke/steam (?) was coming out and it was making a weird noise also.
I changed the water deposit pressure cap, but it keeps doing the same.
This happens just 15 min after I turn on the car so the mechanic disconected a piece from the fans, so the fans are always on. Still, after 45 minutes it start again.

The mechanic did a test in the deposit they said that the pressure was very high and it was probably a problem with the head gaskets, it can be that?

Researching for my own, I found that it can also can be a problem with the water pump, and maybe it needs to be replaced

What should I do?
Is there any test that I can do to know if the head gasket is the problem or if the water pump isn't working?
I don't want to buy the head gasket and realize that the problem was the water pump, or the other way round

Thanks a lot beforehand and sorry for the poor english

Last edited by aldoaldo14; 01-03-2015 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Added new data
Old 11-03-2017, 05:27 PM
vorbius
Amateur

I wish the original poster stated how he/she solved this issue. I have EXACTLY the same symptoms and could use a solution here. I had the mechanic change thermostat (the old one looked brand new - I only bought this car 2 months ago and my wife put 400 miles on it so far - this is a secondary car). I also have P300 code (misfire), but I think it is unrelated to the overheating issue.
Does anyone know what the cause of this overheating is?
Thank you up front.

Last edited by vorbius; 11-03-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:55 PM
vorbius
Amateur

So, I looked into it further since nobody chimed in. The radiator fans were not engaging, so I googled for it and found the solution - bad temp. sensor. $20 and a few minutes of work and problem sold!
Hope it helps someone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stratus 2005 2.7L Overheating Problem