Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 02:35 PM
dave_00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission Question

Hey guys! I have a quick transmission question...So I have a 2003 Dodge Stratus with 96,000 miles on it and about two months ago it stopped pulling. I had a guy come pick it up and long story short he said the filter was really dirty so he changed the fluid and the filter. After I got it back the check engine light kept coming on and it was throwing multiple transmission codes. I took it back to the guy he said he didn't see anything wrong with it, and told me to drive it with the check engine light on. Well, a few days ago the transmission stopped pulling again, this time I had someone else tow it. This guy said my pump was failing so we decided to just replace the entire transmission incase there was any internal component failure. Since the filter was supposedly brand new this mechanic was going to just reuse it but when he took it off he found three holes drilled in it SO all that to say this, why would the other guy have drilled three holes in my filter AND could this be the ultimate cause of the pump failure in allowing unfiltered fluid to enter the pump?? I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible before I confront the guy...hopefully I won't go to jail! lol Thanks!

Old 02-12-2015, 02:44 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I would ask to see this filter with 3 holes drilled in it first.....

Old 02-12-2015, 03:05 PM
dave_00

I saw it. There were three 1/4'' holes drilled real close together in one of the corners.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:14 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

How do you know this guy didnt drill the holes in it cause he's mad at the other guy and trying to get him in trouble/put him out of buisness? One guys word against the other guy. Good luck. Hope it turns out ok.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:18 PM
dave_00

I know both of the guys. The first guy is a little shady but he was going to do the work for free. I thought he was helping me out but I guess not lol The second guy is a little pricey but I go to church with him. He is a man of integrity. I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning behind the drilling of the holes and if that would cause pump failure before I confront him about it.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:34 PM
dave_00

Here's a picture of it...

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Question-0212151527.jpg  

Quick Reply: Transmission Question